• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

Would graphite make a good thing to put on the bottom of your heatsink. i tried looking for the heat capacity or what ever the official measurment is, but i couldnt find it. Anyone tried it?

I knew I had a reason why I collected the graphite deposits from the yard :D

Agent_Mull said:
but wouldnt it help allittle bit?

or could i mix up some graphite in my as3?

Probably not. Thermal interface material isn't all about thermal conductivity. It's about filling the spaces between your heatsink/waterblock and your processor. So, if you have some (relatively) large particles of graphite and put them in a thermal paste, they will create extra space and decrease thermal conductivity.

Ok. the graphite powder i used was hard to get onto the copper of the HS. but i mixed some up in AS3, but then i wiped the as3 off leaving the graphite on the metal. Results are yet to be determined.

Also i have some 2mm graphite pencil leads i might try putting in the hs some how to see if that might help dissapate heat faster.

Last edited:
Well I tried it and gained a half C. Removed it and tried again with graphite for locks and got back to where I was before the graphite. Anyone got better results?

BTW it was mixed with AS ceramique. Quantaties too small to measure with what I have.

Actually now im running about 2-3°c cooler. Maybe it was just that i wasnt using it. tho i was running Seti.

Sniperboy said:
Like I said, it will only hurt your performance. Thermal paste is meant to fill gaps only. Any extra space is just hurting performance otherwise.

just a little FYI. There used to be some TIM's that were primarily made of graphite. Both Intel and AMD had graphite based TIM's at one point or another. Intel for the first generation P3's and Celerons, and AMD for their early K6-2's.

Back