• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Great Deals for folding rigs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Just thought a thread for folding deals would be useful. I just found this one at www.planetmicro.co.uk
- VIA Cyrix 533Mhz
- Mobo with ob sound and video
- CPU cooler
- case.

£79 plus VAT at 17.5%

Jeff Bolton

would a cyrix be good at folding? i was under the impression that their fpu's suck so they wouldn't be as good as even a p3. but still, that's a great deal, for that price you could get a couple and start work towards a farm :p

jeff

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Jeff Bolton said:
would a cyrix be good at folding? i was under the impression that their fpu's suck so they wouldn't be as good as even a p3. but still, that's a great deal, for that price you could get a couple and start work towards a farm :p

jeff

They do suck. But they will fold quietly and cheaply, and may make up for it. Just in case anyone was interested.

About the farm - I have been planning for ages, but unfortunately I have no permenant net connection. If I get cable I will set up a farm. But I will need a job to pay for the farm and the cable net connection.

Jeff Bolton

yeah, i'd love to build more rigs for folding, but i just don't have the money. i wish i did, but even if i had more spendable capital, i have other things that i need to purchase too, like a newer car, and a new main rig. the one i'm on now is going to my dad when i build a new one this summer.

jeff

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Jeff Bolton said:
yeah, i'd love to build more rigs for folding, but i just don't have the money. i wish i did, but even if i had more spendable capital, i have other things that i need to purchase too, like a newer car, and a new main rig. the one i'm on now is going to my dad when i build a new one this summer.

jeff

Looking at your sig your rig isn't too bad. But you spelt 'with' 'wiht' by the way :rolleyes: :D.

Jeff Bolton

aieee thanks for pointing that out for me. yeah my rig right now isn't bad, but i want a new one, just because when i built this one i didn't know anything about computers, my friend helped me. i want to choose my own components, mod the case, and do it all myself. plus my dad's computer seriously needs replaced...cyrix 233 with 128 mb ram, 8 mb video, and 8 gig hard drive. this one will do him for a few more years once i give it to him :)

jeff

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Jeff Bolton said:
aieee thanks for pointing that out for me. yeah my rig right now isn't bad, but i want a new one, just because when i built this one i didn't know anything about computers, my friend helped me. i want to choose my own components, mod the case, and do it all myself. plus my dad's computer seriously needs replaced...cyrix 233 with 128 mb ram, 8 mb video, and 8 gig hard drive. this one will do him for a few more years once i give it to him :)

jeff

Cool. My dad says he is going to replace his rig soon. I'll see if he'll want my current rig (Tbird 1100) and I can get a nice XP rig, or poss dual XPs :p

Jeff Bolton

heh heh wouldn't dualies be nice :)

i want to wait until the t-bred comes out. i'm looking at getting an ABit ddr XP board for it. 512 mb crucial ddr (poss 256 at first to save money). 40-60 gig 7200 rpm hdd (IBM prolly). keeping my 16x plextor burner and 16x dvd until i upgrade my plextor, but that isn't a necessity. my dad doesn't need burner or dvd so he can use his old 56x cdrom. i want a geforce3 ti-500 if they are still for sale when i am building. i might buy one in advance just so i can get a deal before they take them off the shelves. then i'll probably get sb audigy sound and an antec soho server case like a lot of people have. man that's gonna be aboue $1000 probably...luckily i'll be making about $7 an hour this summer :)

jeff

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Jeff Bolton said:
heh heh wouldn't dualies be nice :)

i want to wait until the t-bred comes out. i'm looking at getting an ABit ddr XP board for it. 512 mb crucial ddr (poss 256 at first to save money). 40-60 gig 7200 rpm hdd (IBM prolly). keeping my 16x plextor burner and 16x dvd until i upgrade my plextor, but that isn't a necessity. my dad doesn't need burner or dvd so he can use his old 56x cdrom. i want a geforce3 ti-500 if they are still for sale when i am building. i might buy one in advance just so i can get a deal before they take them off the shelves. then i'll probably get sb audigy sound and an antec soho server case like a lot of people have. man that's gonna be aboue $1000 probably...luckily i'll be making about $7 an hour this summer :)

jeff

Cool. I will keep by burner, hard disk and video card to start with (121032, 30GB, GeF 2 MX) and throw in a generic AGP card and a cheapo 6 - 10Gig HD for my dad. Then I'll get a duallie board, 256MB RAM and the first XP. I'll add a second XP and more RAM as I can afford it. I am looking at a full tower case I think.

$7 an hour? Thats about £5? Not bad at all. Mind you, tax will be lighter in the US.

I hope to get some job this summer, at least £4/hour I hope.

Jeff Bolton

yeah i have a job now (well, at least when i'm not at school). i work at a pizza hut (don't know if they have them in the UK) but i've been working there since april 99, so 3 years now. as it is i'm clasified as a cook and started out at $5.15 an hour and over 3 years now make $6. that sucks, especially since new people my bos s hires make more than that. but anyways, that's another story. my boss is going to promote me to shift manager which should get me at least $7 an hour. and at over 30 hours a week, i should be making enough to afford that computer easily, maybe even get a geforce 4 ;)

if they are supported by linux that is lol

jeff

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Jeff Bolton said:
yeah i have a job now (well, at least when i'm not at school). i work at a pizza hut (don't know if they have them in the UK) but i've been working there since april 99, so 3 years now. as it is i'm clasified as a cook and started out at $5.15 an hour and over 3 years now make $6. that sucks, especially since new people my bos s hires make more than that. but anyways, that's another story. my boss is going to promote me to shift manager which should get me at least $7 an hour. and at over 30 hours a week, i should be making enough to afford that computer easily, maybe even get a geforce 4 ;)

if they are supported by linux that is lol

jeff

Yes, we have Pizza Huts here, alongside McDonalds and Burger King. I was considering a job at McDonalds (there are 3 in livingston, a medium size town :eek:) but the work is crap and the pay sucks. A job at McDonalds is definately a last resort :D

Yes, I think GeForce 4s use the same drivers as 2s and 3s.

Jeff Bolton

yes here in the states a job in a fast food joint is about the lowest you can go (no offense to those who work there). i know that pizza hut isn't any better. for high school students fast food might not be too bad, but the pay sucks and so does the job. i don't even eat at mcdonalds because i've heard too many horror stories from friends who have worked there. another popular place to work are grocery stores and dept stores like walmart and kmart, but i doubt you have those over there.

jeff

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
Jeff Bolton said:
yes here in the states a job in a fast food joint is about the lowest you can go (no offense to those who work there). i know that pizza hut isn't any better. for high school students fast food might not be too bad, but the pay sucks and so does the job. i don't even eat at mcdonalds because i've heard too many horror stories from friends who have worked there. another popular place to work are grocery stores and dept stores like walmart and kmart, but i doubt you have those over there.

jeff

ASDA has been taken over by Walmart - there is a Walmart in Leeds and soon one in Livingston.

]-[itman

If you live near somewhere here, Fry's Electronics always has some very sweet deals on barebones systems. I've seen a 1900+ system for $200 total. The store in itself is like a huge compusa or something, but they'll have some awesome deals a lot of the time. It would be a great place to look out for a folding box.

funnyperson1

Or:

89$ Duron1.2/ ECSK7S5A
12$ 64mb SDRAM

then all you need is a CDROM drive ( which most people haveextra of) and and old video card and you have a sweet Overfoldix folding system....though you cant do much else with it....

OP
David

David

Forums Super Moderator
My local computer shop - www.silicon-group.co.uk - often sell off old PII-350 barebones systems pretty cheap. Worth it or not? All they need is a HD and some RAM and they can fold away :D