• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Great gaming cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

there you go.
link removed to a processor that was not what he was asking for.

agentbad, next time you do something like this again, you won't have another chance. If you can't take the time to properly answer the OP's question or even if you had given some kind of reason besides being an Intel fanboi, I might have let you slide. You are now on my short list of people to watch for trolling the AMD forums! :mad:

muddocktor

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Dino-Man

Dino-Man

lol thats like the exact opposite i was asking for! but ill look into it...thanks for the suggestion lol

Satsumomo

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz because the 6400+ is an OEM, so you would spend the $175 + heatsink and fan. And it's only 200mhz higher in speed, the rest of it's specs are identical.

I'm only telling you by the cpu's you gave us, I wouldn't really know what AMD core to recommend.

JamesXP

Epic Fail Guy
agentbad, spam?

'AMD CPU'

He wants an AMD cpu, if you want to make him go intel atleast state a reason.

The 6400+ would be the best, probably the highest overclock too, although the 5000+BE is a nice CPU for the price :)

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Dino... if you want some extra power in Folding then go with the 6400+ Black Edition. The 2x1mb L2 really pays off... I know it's a bit more expensive than the 5000+ Black Edition but it will pay off in both Folding and gaming.

I wouldn't even consider the 6000+ if you can get a 6400+ BE for $15 more. If you really can't go over $150 and get the 6400+ BE then the 5000+ BE is also a nice chip... runs cooler, less power draw, and you can easily OC it to 3.0GHz+. The only drawback to either of the Black Edition cpus is that you'll need to buy a heat sink, so you'll have to add that to the total... I mean, who uses those little stockers anyway? :D

kbanny

Go with the 5000+ BE. It overclocks really well and is a great price/performance ratio.

I just picked up a cheap arctic 64 freezer pro and pretty much shot straight to 3.2ghz stock voltage.(haven't really tried anything more)

I personally got it because I planned on upgrading at my leisure later on. It seemed cheaper than going intel.

Satsumomo

Looking at specs, I didn't see any difference between the 6000+ and the 6400+ other than the slightly higher clock speed.

Also, like I said, it's OEM, so it's not only more expensive itself, but you need to also purchase a separate HSF. $15+$20~40 for an extra 200mhz?

Spion

Quote edited out in thread cleanup.

if you want to have fun and OC the system, i'd go with the 5000+BE otherwise just go with the 6000+ and call it a day (unless you really want that extra 200MHz stock :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

MachineDog

Registered
are u going to OC? if u want to game y not run a quad. not the fastest but 4 cores will game very well.

I was under the impression most games don't operate on more than 2 cores so you shouldn't bother with quad core.

Just get a high speed dual core, I just bought my AMD Athlon 5600+ 2.8GHz yesterday for $130, and I'm hoping for some hawt performance.

Niku-Sama

the 5200 90nm core has the same ammount.

i'm currently workin on mine, stock is 2.6Ghz i have got mine to 3.4Ghz but i havent yet tested games.

i say buy a lower clocked core and over clock it some, save you some green, i am not really convinced black editions are really worth it.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Looking at specs, I didn't see any difference between the 6000+ and the 6400+ other than the slightly higher clock speed.

Also, like I said, it's OEM, so it's not only more expensive itself, but you need to also purchase a separate HSF. $15+$20~40 for an extra 200mhz?

The 6400+ Black Edition has an unlocked multiplier. ;) ...and is the best 90nm silicon you can buy from AMD.

Mr.Guvernment

So if your getting all new parts why not go core 2 duo, i know you didnt ask, but performance per $$ c2d is better...