• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Great temp on GPU, hot CPU :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowPho

I am in your stack, SUBbing your registers!
Hello all!

I build my first watercooling setup. However, sadly my CPU is very hot in it :(.

_______________ CPU GPU
IDLE____________ 30 32
DOOM___________ 55 43
Prime95\Kombustor 90 43

For CPU I have a [email protected] and +0.075v, cooled with EK Evo supreme, and I inserted J2 insert per instructions. I have removed the cooler, reapplied paste, and re-checked the insert orientation. Looks correct to me.

For GPU I have a 980 TI Classifieds with EK waterblock and original backplate, overclocked to 1.5GHz at 1.2v.

I have a d5 EK-XRES pump with a tiny res. I double checked that out eventually points to input on the CPU block.

For cooling I have a giant MO-RA3 420 rad with 9 EK-Vardar F2-140 fans spinning at 20%.

What do :(?

(D5 pump runs at 4800 rpm or 100%, not connected to any motherboard headers)

What voltage are you seeing for the CPU?
My 4.7GHz overclock runs around 50-55C while gaming.

That was my point. Looks like he's right in line for normal temps.
Less voltage should lower it, if he's running more voltage than needed for 4.7GHz.

I am surprised though. My overclock is only offset +0.075v. That's minimal offset.... I don't think it even hits 1.35v. Seems high to me with that voltage.

Would delidding help?

Why is EK evo hot? Should I go with monoblock?

For normal use, your temps look good as you have more than enough cooling for yourself and your neighbor. :p

If you're a bencher, than use the older versions as the newer make the CPUs toasty. I use Folding@Home to really push the rig max and go based on those findings.

For normal use, your temps look good as you have more than enough cooling for yourself and your neighbor. :p

If you're a bencher, than use the older versions as the newer make the CPUs toasty. I use Folding@Home to really push the rig max and go based on those findings.

Thank you for your help! haha.

I have v28.9build2 of wprime. My temps go to 75C without kombustor and 85C with kombustor.

However, I am only at +0.65v offset (so 1.26v coretemp reports. Cpu-z reports 1.296v, volt-meter says 1.326v)

Also my VRM is hot (70C? will check actual tomorrow) and my GPU backplate is 70C on right side and memory phases on it are hot too.....

Is that all normal?

I want to push my chip harder (5GHz the dream!). Would I need to delid my CPU for that?

Your temps don't look all that bad at present. How is the airflow through your case? The rad fans can only move the air they have available. Have you tried it with the side panel removed?

^AGreed: with your GPU OC and 1.2v, they seem in line.

The fact that you have 10 more degrees running Kombustor means that the heat transfers properly from the GPU to the block.

Don't want to kill the dream, but you have to be in luck to get your CPU to 5GHz.

Delidding and using coolaboratory will drop the temps by 15 to 20c, but you will likely hit the voltage wall around 4.8/4.9GHz.

I delidded all my 3770K's and 4790K's and never regretted it! well an extra 200MHz is an extra 200MHz!!! ;)

Your temps don't look all that bad at present. How is the airflow through your case? The rad fans can only move the air they have available. Have you tried it with the side panel removed?

My Rad is outside my case :D.
^AGreed: with your GPU OC and 1.2v, they seem in line.

The fact that you have 10 more degrees running Kombustor means that the heat transfers properly from the GPU to the block.

Don't want to kill the dream, but you have to be in luck to get your CPU to 5GHz.

Delidding and using coolaboratory will drop the temps by 15 to 20c, but you will likely hit the voltage wall around 4.8/4.9GHz.

I delidded all my 3770K's and 4790K's and never regretted it! well an extra 200MHz is an extra 200MHz!!! ;)

I am barely at 1.3v though. Don't people run at 1.4v? Would that not give me an extra 100 mV to get that 300 MHz?

Also I am worried that Evo feels hot to touch... meanwhile EK Gpu block is cool as water

That's the point. It will take 0.03v/0.04v to go from 4.5 to 4.6, same for 4.6 to 4.7 and then it jumps to 0.05/0.07 to 4.8 and 4.9 might not even be doable under ambient cooling.

As an example: the 5820k in sig does [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], all of those 100% stable (Realbench, Prime95, gaming Adobe Creative Cloud...) and I can't get it [email protected]. Benchable up to 4.95/5GHz depending on the benchmarks, but not rock solid stable.

My Rad is outside my case :D.

I am barely at 1.3v though. Don't people run at 1.4v? Would that not give me an extra 100 mV to get that 300 MHz?

Also I am worried that Evo feels hot to touch... meanwhile EK Gpu block is cool as water
To be clear with us... stating the offset voltage doesn't tell us where exactly your vCore is at... remember, each CPU has a different 'stock' voltage or VID. In the future, just state the end load voltage. :)

The EVO should feel hot to the touch, its a heatsink. A GPU block won't feel warm as the heat goes out through the rad. You don't feel the rad getting too warm because it is MUCH bigger than a heatsink and therefore, doesn't get as hot.

Please update your signature to reflect the hardware you have currently. ;)

EDIT: I need coffee... you have a block on the CPU, not an air cooler, LOL. Disregard most of that post... well, the middle part. :rofl:

Back