• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GT 1030 silent release

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-launc...-low-cost-alternative-to-integrated-graphics/

i think its important to note that full specs of the core have not be released. i think there will be some guess work as to what is fully behind it, this card also matters. it matters to people that want better then onboard or onchip video and get a nice boost with not much more power draw. the last GT release was the GT730/740 using kepler, now with the 730 depending on which model you bought you had a chance of getting the older femri core at 96cores vs the kepler based one with 384cores. this same thing also happened with the latter GT630 which was listed as the top GT back then. now if you notice the power for the Kepler based 384 core GT630 and GT740, power is down vs this 1030. the main notes for power increase with the GT 1030 for the same number of cores is higher base clock speed as well as GDDR5 at an effective rate of 6ghz. I would be willing to take the 5 more watt increase vs the GT740/730 for the new core+GDDR5. It would be nice to know how the rest of the core is setup but i doubt NV will release that unless someone out there has a connection on the inside.

This is a nice addition to what i feel is a neglected market, workstations/HTPC's. where a bit more video power is needed over on-board/on-chip is needed or someone that wants a better video engine for BD/4k-BD.

At $69 on the low end, currently listed in stock at newgg for a few brands. Evga has 3 flavors with one currently listed at newegg, the high side of pricing was $79. The differences between some of the cards as i could tell was mostly cooling, LP-HS with fans or taller Passive sinked cards, with video connections varying quiet a bit. i already plan to put one in my little rig that sports a GT730.

*edit* for those that want to take a look here are links on specs for the different labled cards.
GT630
GT730
GT1030

SPL Tech

Meh, waht's the point? It's not powerful enough for any real gaming, and for almost everything else the integrated GPU works fine.

Alaric

Until the Ryzen APUs are out, they may fill a HTPC nitch there, or just pick up the graphics slack for any non gaming Ryzen build.

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
after reading comments though, it is kinda on the high side for pricing. you can get a 1050 for not much more and get double the cores for just about $30ish more. if there was a bit more i could kinda see it but its a different in my pov. if the card was about $20ish cheaper it would be worth it imo but then that means not having GDDR5 on it. which i could handle since it wouldnt be used for gaming all that much or even lower res gaming. unless the intel on-chip video is the iris the IQ for BD playback isnt that good imo. now yea i could see the GT1030 offering alot better IQ for BD and other formats. for some people thats enough to warrant getting the GT1030.

planetf1

I'm after a little advice. I bought a GT1030 last week. Let me explain why:

- I have a Gigabyte Z97X-SLI board with a Intel 4790k cpu (not overclocked), 16 GB ram. PSU is decently beefy but I'd have to check what (novatech prebuild).
- PC is mostly used for "desktop" apps, some coding, music, videos, writing docs, lots of web browsing, a little virtualization. Also photo cataloguing/editing in lightroom, occasional photoshop
- I had a new 4k display (LG 27UD88) arrive last week
- The built in Intel 4600 display struggled with even a 4K desktop. Refresh was capped at 30 Hz and everything felt very laggy, even with max "video ram"
- I searched on amazon, but confused at the sheer number of options went with something at the cheaper end, 4K support, passive - quite happy with not getting more fan noise, though existing PSU and to a lesser extent processor fan are audible!
- noticed 1030 just released, and amazon was telling me "order in next 5 mins to get tomorrow" .. so I did
- actual card is GT1030-SL-2G-BRK GDDR5

Desktop seems to work "just fine" at 4k/60Hz over HDMI 2 & is smooth and snappy, a way away from the intel's performance

So that's the back story, but I can return within 30 days, so I'm now wondering if I made a sensible choice. For desktop, video use would the experts here recommend other options. I'm not totally against a fan design if not too loud under desktop use . I spent ~ 70 ukp on the asus passive gt1030 card, I wouldn't want to go much above this. 90 perhaps? I did read the ATI RX550s were decent, but years ago ati drivers were abysmal, and that's what I remember, whilst nvidia seem decent (that being said the LG monitor I think has freesync, nothing nvidia though since I don't game I guess who cares!). 2GB feels a little tight, but it seems quite a big step up in price to get 3GB/4GB (I notice netflix want 3GB for their 4k pc service)

Feedback/comments welcome :)

OP
Evilsizer

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i have no idea what country uses ukp currency, but if you want 4gb for your netflix 4k streaming. going to amd might not be a bad idea considering in the US the GT1030 lowest is 69.99 at newegg. the next up in the 1XXX series for 4gb is the GTX1050TI that is $134, which is nearly double the price. the one i found on newegg, the cheapest RC550 4gb is $109 which is 30 cheaper though. the question is which brand do you want to stick with, you know the drivers/control panel for NV work. I have not used a current or even up to 3 gen old amd, last one i used with a 5xxx card, think it was a 5960 or something or other. i didnt have an issue using the drivers then. i would assume they have gotten better but you might be able to find a review or article talking about amd's current state of drivers if that will ease your worries about going with them.