GTA IV runs like crap on fast machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dangerous_Dave

Hi all,

I've been scratching my head about why GTA IV won't run smoothly on my system... I have 2 HD4870's in crossfire and a phenom II @ 3.4Ghz! I can't even get it to run smoothly on medium settings!?

I have 4GB ram btw, and my screen is 24" so I'm trying to run at something like 1920x1200 (high I know, but surely I should still be able to do medium settings easily). It's frustrating because it really doesn't look that good, and I didn't buy these components to feel like I'm gaming on a megadrive.

Does anybody know what might be amiss?

Dangerous_Dave

AA is off (GTA won't allow it anyway); AF is application settings, but I don't remember turning it on on the application.

Dangerous_Dave

Well I had this bizarre patch 1.0.0.5, which I thought would be better than 1.0.0.4, which is the highest on the official website. Now I've gone onto 1.0.0.4 the framerate seems to have picked up a bit. I might try forcing triple buffering with d3doverrider (I think that relates to smoothness right?). My main issue now appears to be a lack of physical graphics ram, but there's not a lot I can do about that without buying new cards.

I wish my damn PC would be stable! I think the motherboard has memory issues.

Last edited:

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer

well for starters it is GTA IV, it is a port from a console.... a crappy port at that since on fast machines it still runs so slow and doesnt even look that good.

antipesto93

hmm...is it because in the graphics settings it wont let you increase the quality ecause of the Vram...if it is there is a small hack you can do do the gta.exe file and it removes the vram limitations.

Neural Net

well for starters it is GTA IV, it is a port from a console.... a crappy port at that since on fast machines it still runs so slow and doesnt even look that good.

Not really, that's a bit harsh. Sure it's demanding, but the console version had multiple cores to play with and the PC version is greatly enhanced over the console versions in terms of visuals. I will show you a screenshot comparison if you so wish. ;)

A C2Q at 3.2Ghz can run the game with 2 4870s at medium settings - which means running the game using about 500MB of VRam. I run it using the full 1GB VRam at 1920x1200 and it looks great, runs at over 60fps on average and never gets choppy.

Rockstar stated that they intended the game to scale with newer hardware to deliver better visuals down the line, and I'm not complaining because I can nearly max it out now, only view distance isn't turned all the way up due to the memory limit.

Dangerous_Dave - Try setting up the game so it uses no more than 550MB of VRam and turn down any other settings from Very High back down to High. Have a look at these benchmarks, they should give you an indication of what to expect. Overclocking your CPU up to about 3.6/3.8Ghz could make a big difference.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer

game looks like Max Payne as far as graphics go.. that someone should be expected to have a 4ghz quad core and some high end gpu to get it to play smooth on medium settings.. horrible looking game shouldn't need a monster pc just to play smooth..

Neural Net

game looks like Max Payne as far as graphics go.. that someone should be expected to have a 4ghz quad core and some high end gpu to get it to play smooth on medium settings.. horrible looking game shouldn't need a monster pc just to play smooth..

Now you're just being silly. :)

You don't need a 4Ghz quad to run it at medium smoothly. You don't need a high end GPU. It certainly doesn't look like Max Payne and I'm disappointed you've taken such a subjective approach to its graphical quality as graphics are a quantifiable element of a game and you can clearly see that it doesn't look like you say it does. :p

Please try playing the game before you label it a shoddy port; it has been stated on these forums many times before that the patches have made huge progress with performance for this title.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer

well i have watched HD videos of the game play and looked at SS's of it. Graphics do to me look like they are from Max Payne area... ok, i submit that with patches it got better.... though in what gaming world are we expected to have uber PC's to have a playable game even at medium settings. i think it know, it started with crysis.... :(

deed

I would try some mods, some mods raise the frame rate, and give some nice visuals.

I would try this also... I saw a video of someone maxing the game with a gtx 285 so there must be some nice mods for it.

Dangerous_Dave

Not really, that's a bit harsh. Sure it's demanding, but the console version had multiple cores to play with and the PC version is greatly enhanced over the console versions in terms of visuals. I will show you a screenshot comparison if you so wish. ;)

A C2Q at 3.2Ghz can run the game with 2 4870s at medium settings - which means running the game using about 500MB of VRam. I run it using the full 1GB VRam at 1920x1200 and it looks great, runs at over 60fps on average and never gets choppy.

Rockstar stated that they intended the game to scale with newer hardware to deliver better visuals down the line, and I'm not complaining because I can nearly max it out now, only view distance isn't turned all the way up due to the memory limit.

Dangerous_Dave - Try setting up the game so it uses no more than 550MB of VRam and turn down any other settings from Very High back down to High. Have a look at these benchmarks, they should give you an indication of what to expect. Overclocking your CPU up to about 3.6/3.8Ghz could make a big difference.

I would overclock to that, and I know I should be able to, but for some reason I can't. Something very odd is going on with my PC, and the most I can currently get is 3.3Ghz - and even that's tentative. The funny thing is that that 10% overclock yielded a 10% improvement in the 3dmark06 score. Could it be that the processor is bottlenecking the GPUs? ..... wait .... 3Dmark runs at 1280 x 1024... maybe that's why it's bottlenecking... I dunno. I have a feeling this PC should be churning out more fps than it is.

Neural Net

well i have watched HD videos of the game play and looked at SS's of it. Graphics do to me look like they are from Max Payne area... ok, i submit that with patches it got better.... though in what gaming world are we expected to have uber PC's to have a playable game even at medium settings. i think it know, it started with crysis.... :(

Well luckily for you the majority of PC games are DX9 ports of console games that don't try to push any boundaries. :bday: You could just buy an Xbox... :p

I would overclock to that, and I know I should be able to, but for some reason I can't. Something very odd is going on with my PC, and the most I can currently get is 3.3Ghz - and even that's tentative. The funny thing is that that 10% overclock yielded a 10% improvement in the 3dmark06 score. Could it be that the processor is bottlenecking the GPUs? ..... wait .... 3Dmark runs at 1280 x 1024... maybe that's why it's bottlenecking... I dunno. I have a feeling this PC should be churning out more fps than it is.

You're right on both counts, at that resolution you are bottlenecked by your CPU, but less so the higher in resolution you go. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Phenom IIs so perhaps it would be best posting a thread in the AMD CPU section and seeing if you can get any pointers? It could be a number of things - insufficient voltage, not enough power from the PSU. What happens when you try and clock it higher than 3.3Ghz?

nightelph

I think eveyone agrees that GTA4 is not a very optimized port. That being said it does look nice, but if you want to 'max' the graphics you are going to need somthing higher end. On the rig in My sig I have everything maxed except draw distance at 19x12 and it's smooth as butter. The game was just coded for consoles, accept that it's never going to run as it should on pc hardware. Now go enjoy it. :)

Neural Net

I think eveyone agrees that GTA4 is not a very optimized port. That being said it does look nice, but if you want to 'max' the graphics you are going to need somthing higher end. On the rig in My sig I have everything maxed except draw distance at 19x12 and it's smooth as butter. The game was just coded for consoles, accept that it's never going to run as it should on pc hardware. Now go enjoy it. :)

It's not unoptimised, if it were, performance would not scale to hardware. I simply don't understand why "unoptimised" has become this buzzword for a lot of PC gamers. Suddenly if they can't run a game on max the game is "unoptimised". It's getting very boring and is flat out wrong most of the time the word is used. Optimisation in games doesn't mean magically making the game run faster, it means leaving elements out to make it run faster.

Not a dig at you personally just the use of the word by PC Gamers in general, they've turned into a massive bunch of whiners. :sly:

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer

It's not unoptimised, if it were, performance would not scale to hardware. I simply don't understand why "unoptimised" has become this buzzword for a lot of PC gamers. Suddenly if they can't run a game on max the game is "unoptimised". It's getting very boring and is flat out wrong most of the time the word is used. Optimisation in games doesn't mean magically making the game run faster, it means leaving elements out to make it run faster.

Not a dig at you personally just the use of the word by PC Gamers in general, they've turned into a massive bunch of whiners. :sly:

Let me ask you then.. What makes Crysis:Warhead run better then Crysis on the same HW?

dim1014

pretty sure gtaIV doesnt support crossfire, is that right? I'm positive it doesn't support SLI cause I have a GTX 295 and I googled it after it didn't work for me. That would probably have something to do with it, that is, putting all of the settings up with just one video card doing the work.