• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTA Vice City Texture loading problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I have had GTA Vice City for the PS2 since it came out, but recently I decided that I wanted to see what the PC version looks like, mainly because the PS2 version would get bogged down sometimes when alot of different 3d effects are happening at the same time, and because of the low resolution of a TV. Anyway, I installed it fine, and started the game fine, but it seams to have a problem loading texures for whatever reason. I will be riding along on a PCG-600 and all of a sudden everything looks like crap! :bang head So I have to sit still and wait for all the full resolution textures to load. I checked out the display settings to see what was there, but there were absolutly no tweaking options whatsoever! After that I quite the game to look for an update. Turns out there is only one update, and it isn't even official. I tired it anyway, but of course it didn't help anything. I also tryed changing the resolution, and draw distance, to no avail. This is driving me nuts, the game is fun, but I can't even play it because of this problem. Anyone know how to fix this? I would love nothing more then to be able to freely roam the city without have to wait for the world to catch up with me. Any help is much appreciated!

I have had the same problem and played around with it.
rig in sig;
I turned frame limiter off and the problem went HUGE.
w/ fram limiter on and at a lower res, the cities load fine for me and i dont have to wait
but at 1280x1024 w/ frame on the cities lag =\

Man, I'm glad I didn't buy this game, or I would really be ****ed. (sigh), well I'll try turning frame limiter on, but I'm still playing the game at 1920 x 1200 or 1600 x 1200, so if what you say is true then it will be crapped out the box heh, I'll try lower resolutions, and maybe even 16 bit color too. I haven't played the game with anything less then 32 bit color, so maybe that is part of the problem...

this really sucks because I am waiting for san andreas to come out for PC since my friend told me the PS2 version has some bad lagging problems, but if this is any indication to what the PC version will be like, then maybe I'll just wait to see if it comes out on xbox.

deathman20 said:
Video card drivers I bet.

That thought never actually crossed my mind, but I probably should look into it. The problem though is that drivers are so iffy that you never really know which ones will be better. I finally found drivers that work perfectly for me (so far), but if it is effecting this game, then I'll just have to try a different version I guess :(

I had that problem, video card dirvers didnt help. I always figured it just wasnt the greatest port so it couldnt fully utalize PC power for loading texutres quick enough

With Framelimiter on, the problem is gone. There is a solution tho. Have the game run with framelimiter off, and in compatibility mode for windows 98. The texture loading problems will be gone.

it might also be the resolution, as was stated earlier. look in my profile for my rig... but I can run it at full settings with no problems.... as long as i don't go over 1024x768x32

Wonder if this is just a nVidia issue? Because I could run GTAIII & VC at 1280x1024 everything cranked without any issues.

I have been playing it for a couple of days now with frame limiter off, and have had no problems! :D I have tested it for these few days at 1600 x 1200 at 16 bits O color. I'm going to try to run it with 32 bit next, but other then that the only problem I'm having now is that the damn game keeps freezing up my entire computer to the point that I have to pull the power cord. I even walked away once to see if it would close itself eventuallly only to find out that my computer actually decided to shutdown and restart. I have been using trainers, but usually the only problem I have had with these is that I get an unexpected handle error, and I simply close Vice City, but latley it has been the entire OS that freezes...(sigh) :(

deathman20 said:
Wonder if this is just a nVidia issue? Because I could run GTAIII & VC at 1280x1024 everything cranked without any issues.

With GTA3 when it first came out, it was a HUGE problem. I remember having to get a specific patch just so it would work with my Geforce 2 (what i had at the time).

GTA:VC was MUCH better with NVIDIA cards, but still, even though i have a 6800.... my friend with a radeon 9600xt runs it smoother.... i guess it is just much more optimized for radeons.

Back