• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTS 250/8800 GTX FPS problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lolumad

Hello, im having a problem with my fps in World of Warcraft and i cant figure out whats the problem.
Im currently running:

Windows XP Pro

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8200

Geforce GTS 250 1GB

3 Gb of Ram

650 wattz PSU.

In game i get around @25-30 FPS with everything on low... i was getting that much when i was running my 8800 GTX. Can anyone tell me why my fps is so low even with every setting on low or turned off >.<. My 8800 GTX was overheating so i though that was the problem so i replaced it but im getting the same results...

First of all, you replaced your 8800GTX with a card that is virtually about the same!

The 8800 Ultra was a bit faster, and the 9800GTX was about the same, then the 9800GTX+ came out and was just ahead of that. Nvidia then decide to rename it the GTS250 to get rid of ther old cards.

You can see the temperature of the video card in the NVIDA control panel, or by using several temp monitoring software programs such as "SpeedFan"

You might try overclocking the card a bit, try EVGA's precison overclockign utility, you might want to turn up the fan speed a bit too, just don't go crazy (No more then 50-75%) or it will be realy loud.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards----Overclocking-&-Tweaking_c13.html

Guru of 3-D has tons of programs and utilities you might like..at minumum i'd download 3DMARK 06 and see what kind of baseline score it gives you and compare it to other similar systems.

Before that, go to PCPITSTOP.com and run the "Overdrive" test and see if it finds any problems....you should score around 1000-2000 points (Click on the performce tab when the test is done)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

WOW should run fast on that system, but if you are running the new one (Lynchking?) then I have read TONS of complaints about it, the software is not every optimised even on a faster system then yours, though increasing your CPU speed by Overclocking it might help some from what I remeber, it likes a very fast CPU!

Let me see what I can dig up on that, back in a bit.

System requirements are pretty low, reccomended requirements are way below what you have, so it SHOULD run great!

PC System Requirements

OS: Windows XP / Windows Vista (with latest Service Packs)

Processor:
Minimum: Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
Recommended: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2

Memory:Minimum: 512 MB RAM (1GB for Vista users)
Recommended: 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)
Video:Minimum: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better
Recommended: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

You might want to read up over at the WOW forums, they have a sticky on performance tips:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=10971909544&sid=1

I thought this was intresting and may help:

NVIDIA cards
Try turning off Transparency Antialiasing and Ambient Occlusion in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

NVIDIA PhysX drivers may have odd interactions with the video card's performance. If that is installed, try uninstalling or disabling the PhysX drivers.

NVIDIA GTX 200 series video cards may stay in power saving mode, giving you lower performance. Please check your power savings settings. Keep in mind that we do not support third party software but guides like these are available - http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/423880-howto-prevent-gtx-200-series-downclocking

Here is the general tech support forum, see if you find other intresting tips there.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=11110&sid=1

EDIT: what are your plans for the old 8800GTX?

Last edited:
What/how many mods are you running? Ie. Pearl, ctmod, ctraid...so on.
It may not be hardware, check wow for errors, delete ALL yours mods or put in a folder outside the wow fold and see if there is a diff.

From what I've been able to deduce from the most recent patch/expansion for WoW - its that it isn't running worth a **** on ANY system right now.

We're talking 25 FPS MAX for most people, back when I first bought it I ran that game on a Single Core 1.8Ghz AMD 2800+, 1GB DDR333 RAM, and a freakin' GeForce 6600GT with 60+ FPS

From what I've been able to deduce from the most recent patch/expansion for WoW - its that it isn't running worth a **** on ANY system right now.

We're talking 25 FPS MAX for most people, back when I first bought it I ran that game on a Single Core 1.8Ghz AMD 2800+, 1GB DDR333 RAM, and a freakin' GeForce 6600GT with 60+ FPS

So truu, I rocked a 6800gt for years and wow was around 50-60 fps with everything maxed.

But I would like to point out again the differences you can get from having to many mods. My comp slowed down BIG time because I had to many mods. I deleted them all and just DL the ones I really want and I am talking a 15-20 FPS boost I saw. Granted as mentioned in my quote I dont really know much about the new patch so it very well could be the patch. but do try what I said.

Not true. I can run 2 instances at once in windowed/maximized mode or side by side, max settings except shadows, with 4xAA, and both windows get a full 60fps.

Yeah they've done a horrible job at optimizing the game, I use to run it on a old single core 1gb computer maxed out with great fps...now I don't play the game but I had to build a new computer just to keep my sanity (and high fps).

Yeah they've done a horrible job at optimizing the game, I use to run it on a old single core 1gb computer maxed out with great fps...now I don't play the game but I had to build a new computer just to keep my sanity (and high fps).

It could as easily be said they've done a great job at keeping the game looking good and updating it to take advantage of modern hardware. Who really uses a single core with 1GB any more?

edit: BTW, WoW still works on the integrated video on both of my systems, and if that ain't great optimization, I don't know what is.

Hello, im having a problem with my fps in World of Warcraft and i cant figure out whats the problem.
Im currently running:

Windows XP Pro

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8200

Geforce GTS 250 1GB

3 Gb of Ram

650 wattz PSU.

In game i get around @25-30 FPS with everything on low... i was getting that much when i was running my 8800 GTX. Can anyone tell me why my fps is so low even with every setting on low or turned off >.<. My 8800 GTX was overheating so i though that was the problem so i replaced it but im getting the same results...

Who makes the PSU?
How long has the system been running under the current install?
What are your Temps, at idle, at full load?
What games are you getting these readings from?
What case are you using?
How much airflow, what fans etc?

Without much more info it is rather hard to get you specific help on what you can or cant do to improve your scores.

I am running a Q6600 at 3.4 with a 9800GTX+ (roughly same card) and depending on the game I am getting 40+ to 200+ FPS, though I am averaging about 80 FPS with the games I play. My temps are sitting right around 30-36C at full load regardless of GPU or CPU (same loop). This is in a Original Stacker with 7 120mm, 1 92mm and 1 70mm fan under water.(fans are on rads, case and components that arent WCed)

Back