• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1080 FE Power Mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joanna_Hammond

Hi everyone,

I'm considering performing a power mod on the GTX 1080 FE. I understand that the VRM is 5 phase (50A per phase) giving a total of 250A. I'm considering a simple 10ohm bypass on the caps for C278, C271 and C263 surrounding U19 (INA 3221.) This should effectively reduce the reported power by approx 3x (apparently.) My concern is VRM temps and long-term stability of the VRM. The card currently has an EVGA Hybrid Cooler installed to reduce the temp issues this card has, so it's hovers around 46C-50C max at full load with a 210 OC. The issue now is power throttling (even with a 120% setting.)

Has anyone tried this modification? If so, what where your VRM temps and how did the mod go for you? Has any degredation of your VRM been observed?

Thanks,

Jo.

Soulcatcher668

Mods like what you are describing are for benching. They are not for 24/7 stable usage.

If you are looking at doing these kinds of mods I would also be starting with a card with a beefier base. ie Kingpin, Classified, etc.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I wouldnt try to push any more power through the reference card either...

Aren't there bios mods out which raise the power limits??

OP
J

Joanna_Hammond

Thanks, I understand that. But, with varying the resistor value you could arrange for a 10% reduction in power detection therefore giving a simple 10% increase over stock Power. Hence my original question.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldnt try to push any more power through the reference card either...

Aren't there bios mods out which raise the power limits??

Haven't found one, but if you know of one please let me know.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Is there a bios editor available for the 10 series cards yet. If so I would just modify the bios to accomplish this.

OP
J

Joanna_Hammond

Are we talking about this mod?

This mod, but probably with different resistor values. https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_oc/

- - - Updated - - -

Earthdog

Thanks, I did find that one. But I would not be comfortable adding a BIOS for what is a different PCB design :(

- - - Updated - - -

Lochekey

Haven't found one, I've found some people have tried editing it. But the verification blocks the BIOS upload.

Last edited:

Vellinious

Thanks, I understand that. But, with varying the resistor value you could arrange for a 10% reduction in power detection therefore giving a simple 10% increase over stock Power. Hence my original question.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't found one, but if you know of one please let me know.

ASUS Strix T4 bios

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped at "I was running Furmark"... :p

lol, man...that's der8auer...

Vellinious

Thanks, as I said earlier, not comfortable uploading a BIOS that is for a different PCB. Hence the questions about the modification :D

So, you're against flashing to a different bios, that has been proven to work on the FE models, but are willing to do a hardware mod........ /ponders

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Haha.. I know exactly who that is, Velly...still stopped at Furmark (I know the point he was trying to make). ;)

OP
J

Joanna_Hammond

So, you're against flashing to a different bios, that has been proven to work on the FE models, but are willing to do a hardware mod........ /ponders

More comfortable doing electronic modifications and it's something that's easy to reverse. A BIOS that may "potentially" mess things up is much harder to fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, did not know it was proven to work. Any comments, etc, that I could look at?

Vellinious