• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1080, having hard time with ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Hi lads,

Got this EVGA 1080 a few weeks ago, waiting for the EVGA AIB 1080ti to launch. Not much time to play around with it, but I have a question:

Card's fine, running around 2080MHw/5700MHz no problem (+130/+700 offset), with no extra voltage. Thing is it is stuck there, no matter how much extra v I set in MSI AB.

Can't get it stable...

As said, it is just to play around for a few weeks more as it will be "stepped up" to a "ti" pretty soon, but still... How come voltage has no impact whatsoever on stability?

Please, enlighten me! ;)

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Could it be the power limit? If it's at it's threshold no voltage will help.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
I have the same card and I was able to do (if I recall since I'm at work) +160/+700 +70%?? for power using EVGA AIB.

OP
Tír na nÓg

Tír na nÓg

Last edited:

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
I used the second to last version for percision and Nvidia drivers. Each company just updated their drivers in the past two weeks, and I have not updated to the latest.

K-boost is up and running. Now since I posted this pic, I did downclock a bit. I had some issues with Witcher 3 the other night crashing to desktop. I'm not sure if it is related to the latest W10 update or not. I didn't have much time to play around with the cause.

OP
Tír na nÓg

Tír na nÓg

I've installed the last drivers and the goo version of precisionX. Kboost working around 2100/5900, except in 3dmark...

SPL Tech

That's about as high as you're likely going to go. For almost three years now nVidia has placed BIOS limits on vcore and power limit. Some people have been able to bypass the power limit with flashing other BIOSes from high end Asus cards, but that comes with its own problems. The voltage is BIOS limited at 1.09v and hard limited at 1.25v, and 1.09 is only slightly higher than stock. Stock boost will get you to around 1.05 or so, thus maxing out the vcore slider dosent do much. It's good for maybe +20 Mhz. on most cards. Really, there is not much you can do to overclock nVidia cards anymore aside from what you already did. To get serious overclocks you have to do a hard mod. There is no way around it. You can flash the Asus BIOS over to your card to allow the full 1.25v, but most people are reporting the additional vcore only adds a bit more to their overclock, and again it's rather risky and it comes with additional problems that can occur since you're using a BIOS that is not intended for the card. If your card has a dual BIOS it might be worth trying, but I wouldent mess with it if it's a single BIOS. Even then, you are not likely to gain too much as the cards dont seem to respond too well to more vcore.

OP
Tír na nÓg

Tír na nÓg

Thanks SPL Tech, not worth it IMO: won't get any sexy point on the Bot with a card [email protected]'ish... Heck, I did not even ran one benchmark yet! Need to reinstall Win7 on a spare drive.