• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gtx 1080 just died, replacements with comparable performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

Not sure what happened. Got my 3600x in the mail, updated my mobo bios on my lunch, made sure everything worked for the update, stuck the new cpu in... No video, vga light on post leds, put the 2600 back in, No video, put a r9 270 in, Video.

3600 and r9 270, video

Done screwing with it, i guess that's why credit cards were invented.

What's comparable performance wise?
Don't give a rats *** about rtx, also don't want a furnace either.
*EDIT* Used might be better, this was used and i replaced the cooler on it with an AIO and a NZXT mounting kit (worked REALLY well)
Posting from a phone will detail it better when i get the system usable.

edit:
ok up and running with a r9 270 and a 3600x. While i sat on the couch and posted this i left the computer running with the 1080 in it and the pump (AIO mounted to card) OFF and it was bone cold still after about 25 minutes so the GPU isnt getting any juice. i took my multimeter and tested for continuity across many components and none of them are blown. I did buy the card refurbed for $360 during the bitcoin video card crisis. I'm not mad it died, i am mad that other 1080's seem to cost more than that now. at least from my quicko search on the couch.

oh the reason it has the AIO with the NZXT kit on it was the stock cooler temps were really bad, i already had the AIO and i got the NZXT mounting kit cheap. Temps were very low after that, I might see 65C on a hot day and VRM was warm but wouldnt burn you (no VRM temp sensor on it)

Last edited:
yea i had a while to look for things once i got the system going while the wife was fighting with amazon and i found a gigabyte rtx 2070 for a "rendering project", they still have a MFR warranty, when i bought the card it had a money back guarantee but the seller updated the listing and thats changed now, either way theres the ebay/paypal stuff too in case its not as advertised.
Its listed as working and tested before it leaves, i'll record the unboxing to CYA just in case

I shot the seller a few questions about the warranty and other things and i got answers and a copy of the invoice back pretty quick, the invoice shows there were 500 2070s purchased 11/2018 so i am fairly certain "rendering project" was a bitcoin miner and the bottom fell out so now they are trying to recoop costs. since it was so late in the game even at 11/2018 i get the feeling a lot of these, if any, didnt do any real mining. i guess we'll see how much run time these saw by how much dust is on them.

in the end it cost $355 shipped and i checked feedback and seems to check out, recent 2070 feedbacks show varying levels of dust but some also point to other auctions the seller had.

risky i know but at this time of year with xmas and all i gotta try

Good luck, less than a year mining I wouldn't be super worried. I feel like the bottom was already out and bitcoin the bay was flooded with used mining cards in 11/18 so it's not quite adding up though as a mining card, unless they just kept going to try and recuperate their cost (thought it was a dip not a bust).

Even if it was used for mining in almost all circumstances they are undervolted and such as well.

That's a good deal on a 2070. I occasionally see large listings on the /r/hardwareswap subreddit like that too.

the card got here super early on friday and i was able to test it with a quick super position run and other than a slightly noise fan its working ok.
I amazingly got a box with it, listing said it was card only and no boxes
got back from an over night trip this evening and everything seemed to go to **** for no reason but the cards chugging away still.

time to move on over to the AMD cpu forum and try to figure out whats going down with that

no no burn marks on the card, i dont remember any diag leds on it but i'll check.
sorry for the late response lots of stuff going down.

ok this is strange, i posted a response to this a few days ago but apparently it didnt work?
It had it saved and "restored content"..... odd

If it was a bitcoin mining card be aware that it is common for the miners to mod the vbios. I'm running a Rx580 Sapphire Nitro+ that I got off ebay that I'm pretty sure was used as a mining card and the vbios was apparently modded such that I could only run my motherboard bios in legacy mode. Fortunately, I discovered that the card had a dual bios switch and only one bios chip on the card had been reprogrammed. I just switched it to the other one and then I could run my motherboard bios in UEFI mode.

Yea i had heard of that before, not the UEFI boot part but modding them for some reason.
I hadnt checked to see if the bios had been modified but i did update them shortly after getting it because of a fan curve problem so i know it had vendor distributed bios on it for almost a year before it died.

its just kind of odd the timing of it, i might have dropped a AIO thumbscrew on it when i replaced it but i dont remember doing so. Thats something i keep coming back to that might have happened...
I dont know its just odd, and frustrating. I was planning on riding that card till 3xxx or 4xxx cards came out.

Edit
had some time and a wild hair to see if i could use part of the heatsink on another project and put it back together with the stock cooler and still nothing
no fan spin, no video, isnt getting into windows blind.

oh there is only one diag LED and its for the power connector, it does come on when its not plugged in still but nothing other than that

Last edited:
Back