• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1080 Overclock - Crashing Way below Max Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wh1pl4sh

Hi Guys! Need your help here.

I have a GTX 1080 Aorus (not extreme edition) running on a i7 7700k @4.8 ghz, 16gb ddr4 @3000mhz, Asus Strix Z270F, EVGA T00B psu.

I've ready a lot of threads and guides, but didn't figure out whats going on with my OC.
I found 2088mhz stable @ only 1.050v. When I turn it up i can get 1.091v and when I put some mhz on core clock, specially in game like PUBG it just crashes, on 2101mhz or 2126mhz. This is very weird since the card runs cool and hit maximum of 75% and fans way below max.
In the same time the card seems to be blocked at 2088mhz I thinks it can goes further because I can reach a higher voltage.
I've tried a lot configurations on Afterburner even doing the curve for clock/voltage.

Anyone that has an overclocked 1080 or know whats going on can give a help??
Maybe an Afterburner picture would help a lot.

Thanks a lot in advance.

:welcome:

Overclock is, unfortunately, just that. A frequency beyond the rated value of the item that you bought. Sometimes you just can't get a thing to do more than its factory speed.

Before any of the following is tried, be sure that you know if it voids your warranty!

Some folks like to switch from air cooling to water cooling. I read that you are not hitting your max temps or max fan speeds so this will probably not help.

You could try removing your cooler, cleaning off all of the old paste and installing a good quality paste. Looking for any issue with the mating surfaces for knicks or scratches and securing the cooler as evenly as possible. This provides some possibility for you but also may not help. Further, removing the cooler could void any warranty you have.

You could try removing the OC on your CPU and RAM and then seeing if you get better results on the 1080.

:welcome:

Overclock is, unfortunately, just that. A frequency beyond the rated value of the item that you bought. Sometimes you just can't get a thing to do more than its factory speed.

Before any of the following is tried, be sure that you know if it voids your warranty!

Some folks like to switch from air cooling to water cooling. I read that you are not hitting your max temps or max fan speeds so this will probably not help.

You could try removing your cooler, cleaning off all of the old paste and installing a good quality paste. Looking for any issue with the mating surfaces for knicks or scratches and securing the cooler as evenly as possible. This provides some possibility for you but also may not help. Further, removing the cooler could void any warranty you have.

You could try removing the OC on your CPU and RAM and then seeing if you get better results on the 1080.

Hello!

Thanks for the reply!
Actually the fans are way below max speed, and still getting low temps... That's the weird stuff.

Although, I'll try to remove OC on cpu and RAM and check if i get better results.

Hello.

I’ve just resetes all the cpu and memory oc and tried to oc the gpu... No deal, the game crashed above 2088mhz...

Maybe some one else has a better idea but sometimes a thing just can't be OC'd. Temps and voltage are not the only thing that can limit the speed of a chip. The chip itself has to be able to OC and yours may not be that kind of chip.

one of the things you are up against is boost 3.0, all you can really do is cool it.
2100 or so is pretty good to average for these cards.
you list your psu as an evga t00B, please give us the model and wattage.

Hello.

I’ve just resetes all the cpu and memory oc and tried to oc the gpu... No deal, the game crashed above 2088mhz...

Its likely just the end of the road, really. These cards almost seem to hit a hard wall no matter what voltage you throw at them on ambient. And as cd said, boost 3.0 plays a role with bins and keeping a steady clock.

Hi guys, thanks for replying.

My psu is an EVGA 700B (700watts).
I understand some cards has a limit, but i pretty sure with your guys help, i can find the sweety spot here.
Also, this boost 3.0 is something i don't get... For example, the game starts (or benchmark as 3dmark) at 2088mhz but for some reason it just keeps deacreasing the clock until aprox. 2050mhz. That's why i need your help to find the best performance.

If there is some other information you guys need, just let me know.

Hi guys, thanks for replying.

My psu is an EVGA 700B (700watts).
I understand some cards has a limit, but i pretty sure with your guys help, i can find the sweety spot here.
Also, this boost 3.0 is something i don't get... For example, the game starts (or benchmark as 3dmark) at 2088mhz but for some reason it just keeps deacreasing the clock until aprox. 2050mhz. That's why i need your help to find the best performance.

If there is some other information you guys need, just let me know.

I have found a similar wall on my Strix GTX 1080, 2088 in game on average and 2100 at the start of benchmarks/stress test and will slowly lower until reaching 2050. I think it might be the max on these cards, but I'm as fresh to the show as you are. Also bare in mind these chips at true factor settings is 1670 MHz so 330 MHz boost ins't bad I'd wager, but again I am a novice in the world of overclocking... But the VRAM frequency is quite overclockable from what I've seen. Currently 1.4 Ghz increase in VRAM frequency is stable at the above stated voltages in my personal experience with my card. I will also note that in my experience that the VRM on my card get hotter way before the core does. Sometimes up to 20 C difference between core and vrm... So perhaps that isn't the bottleneck on these cards, but I couldn't say.

I have found a similar wall on my Strix GTX 1080, 2088 in game on average and 2100 at the start of benchmarks/stress test and will slowly lower until reaching 2050. I think it might be the max on these cards, but I'm as fresh to the show as you are. Also bare in mind these chips at true factor settings is 1670 MHz so 330 MHz boost ins't bad I'd wager, but again I am a novice in the world of overclocking... But the VRAM frequency is quite overclockable from what I've seen. Currently 1.4 Ghz increase in VRAM frequency is stable at the above stated voltages in my personal experience with my card. I will also note that in my experience that the VRM on my card get hotter way before the core does. Sometimes up to 20 C difference between core and vrm... So perhaps that isn't the bottleneck on these cards, but I couldn't say.

Hi Scu thanks for the reply.

Yeah, probably our cards are bios blocked for those frequency. 2088mhz is stable at games, 2101mhz max reached... 2114mhz are reached but sooner or later the game will crash.

Hi Scu thanks for the reply.

Yeah, probably our cards are bios blocked for those frequency. 2088mhz is stable at games, 2101mhz max reached... 2114mhz are reached but sooner or later the game will crash.

Possibly, I will stay tuned for some more informed response for sure. I mean at stock my card hits almost 2 GHz via boost 3.0, I read some where these cards are intended to hit a max voltage of 1.2 V, mine appears to max out at 1.075 so .125 V more would be decent bit more gas to step on. I'd like to see 2150 on the GPU Core.

Possibly, I will stay tuned for some more informed response for sure. I mean at stock my card hits almost 2 GHz via boost 3.0, I read some where these cards are intended to hit a max voltage of 1.2 V, mine appears to max out at 1.075 so .125 V more would be decent bit more gas to step on. I'd like to see 2150 on the GPU Core.

I don’t know actually... I’m pretty sure I’ll only gets this clocks if you change the card bios...
I can reach 1.1v but card sinply don’t keep it stable... It crashes sooner or later...
I’ve read once that those chips are blocked at max 2126... We’re not distant, don’t know how much does it worth to fry our brains out for 25mhz lol.

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t know actually... I’m pretty sure I’ll only gets this clocks if you change the card bios...
I can reach 1.1v but card sinply don’t keep it stable... It crashes sooner or later...
I’ve read once that those chips are blocked at max 2126... We’re not distant, don’t know how much does it worth to fry our brains out for 25mhz lol.

Thanks for the reply.

Realistically, there really isn't much of a "need" to OC these cards... 2 GHz on manufacture settings when listed as 1835 boost doesn't hurt my feelings or void the warranty... lol But it is fun to see what extra you can get for free... Doubtful if 100-126 MHz more really generates a substantial gain that is visible beyond numbers on yours monitor.

Realistically, there really isn't much of a "need" to OC these cards... 2 GHz on manufacture settings when listed as 1835 boost doesn't hurt my feelings or void the warranty... lol But it is fun to see what extra you can get for free... Doubtful if 100-126 MHz more really generates a substantial gain that is visible beyond numbers on yours monitor.

True! The FPS gain is whimsy... lol

Maybe some one else has a better idea but sometimes a thing just can't be OC'd. Temps and voltage are not the only thing that can limit the speed of a chip. The chip itself has to be able to OC and yours may not be that kind of chip.

Well that's a bummer for him. He payed all that money for a awesome card and he can't overclock it. Sighs. We were overclocking back in the Voodoo and TNT 20 years ago. Now in 2018 we cant OC a GPU wtf. I call foul play. RMA the card if you can get your hands on a card from Fry's or something.

That is not like ASUS to botch things up like this.

I have overclocked a ASUS P2 to 504Mhz lol and UT99 would keep crashing until I took it back down to 450Mhz. So I have had my days. OCing involves couple things. Good components but no need to be a lottery winner. A good solid PSU. As long as rest of components are not RMA material then he has his awesome CPU and funds for a 1080 which I told him to scratch off and wait for the 1180 @ 700 dollars MSRP.

Im very dissapointed in your experience, ASUS is better then that. I think honestly you have a RMA on your hands, just do it now before anything else goes wrong. gl

But, he did overclock it, just not as far as he wanted. These cards all crap out around the same speeds give or take a few bins... his seems normal to me, leaning on the average side of overclocks for a 1080 IIRC..

That said, one shouldn't have it in their head to pay for overclocking potential as it is always a crap shoot. A better VRM or cooler here and there only yields so much. You buy on stock performance/cooling ablity, features, and price. :)

But, he did overclock it, just not as far as he wanted. These cards all crap out around the same speeds give or take a few bins... his seems normal to me, leaning on the average side of overclocks for a 1080 IIRC..

That said, one shouldn't have it in their head to pay for overclocking potential as it is always a crap shoot. A better VRM or cooler here and there only yields so much. You buy on stock performance/cooling ablity, features, and price. :)

You are right... I can overclock, but not above 2101mhz, which is already good...
Even though, I don’t think changing for a better cooling te chip will be ave to go further...

It won't that much, correct. If you notice, the card starts off at XXXX speeds and as temps go up, it will drop boost bins every couple of C. So a cooler may help it maintain a boost bin or two, but I don't imagine more.

I don’t know actually. My case has a lot of fans and my card runs real cool.. if I don’t link temperature to power, the card stays at the temperature I set, easily...

Clockspeeds vary by temperatures. Not talking about maintaining. Just in the way u0 to whatever temp, bins will drop after a certain temp. I think it starts to drop bins at 60c or 70c. I dont recall offhand.

Back