• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 275 crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MixedMotives

Registered
Just bought PNY XLR8 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 275
Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply

The computer turns on fine, the card runs fine, it's running games fine
but it shuts down on me playing MW and MW2 at highest settins mid gameplay. It doesn't reboot, it just jumps frames then freezes then monitor shuts off.

Is this a PSU problem? Can it not handle powering the card under stress or is it the card itself the issue here? I thought it may be an overheating issue, but the GPU never passed 70 C under game load when i run OCCT it hits 92c but doesnt shut down.

what Ive tried

sweep drivers then reinstalled
ran gpu memory test 10 pass no errors
ran short OCCT stress test
ran short FurMark stress test

DVL

750w is way more than enough for that card. PSU could be faultering out, but my monies on the card itself locking up, and refusing to display.

tinymouse2

:( Your pictures scare me :(

The PSU seems fine in terms of wattage but the actual quality of the PSU is in doubt here. Most reviews are saying there are fairly large "Voltage fluctuation during operation and during shut down"

But it shouldn't shut off the computer unless it's REALLY bad.

When it does crash can you try pressing alt+tab, ctrl+alt+delete, windows key and anything that would close the application and bring it back to the desktop. Often when something like this has happened it always turns out to be more about the game than the card itself. Have you patched both games to the latest patches?

And last question, are they pirataed? If yes then I wouldn't complain about it crashing.

ciku

im using a 520 watts and its holding up pretty well... though I noticed the 275's generates lots of heat... how's your air flow?

OP
MixedMotives

MixedMotives

Registered
Game just freezes cant get out of it have you use rest button
gpu an speed set to 80% temps never get up to 60c
game it legit and patched it did to me on guild wars now

so the Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply suxx

i switced to vista 64 to see if it was os related hand that didnt help it still does it

my system ran fine when i was running 9800gt and thermatake 600w power supply
so i know it has to be one of the upgrades right?