• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 275 + Samsung XL2370=Screen Tearing Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zerobdr78

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked previously, I been searching but came up with nothing helpful. I just got finished building my i7 920 computer with EVGA GTX 275 video card. I also bought the newly release samsung XL2370
(1920x1080) 23" monitor to go with it. However, to my dismay I noticed when i'm playing games such as Civilization 4, Tropico 3, etc. I get a good amount of Screen tearing, it looks as though there are 2 or 3 frames on the screen that don't quite match up also I get ripples that seem to go from top to bottom on the screen when moving the camera around. I know about turning v-sync on and triple buffering on. But I noticed I lose a lot of FPS when gaming. I tried to turn up the refresh rate on my monitor but it only lets me go up to either 59hz or 60hz. I think the manual says it has a horizontal refresh rate of 30-81khz which i'm not sure is the samething as hz. I really don't want to take the FPS hit associated with v-sync. So my question is if there is anything else I can do besides turning v-sync on to eliminate screen tearing and are most LCD Monitor's refresh rates 60hz? Also, is this a common problem with people playing games on LCD Monitors? I listed my specs below, also if anyone has any monitors to suggest where I wouldn't have as much screen tearing I would appreciate it greatly, Thanks for any help

i7 920 @2.66 ghz
6gb OCZ Gold
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Corsair 850tx PSU
1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
EVGA GTX 275 Video Card (Latest Drivers)
Windows 7 64 Bit OS

nd4spdbh2

Your going to get tearing no matter what if you dont have vsync enabled. Id imagine with the GTX275 your outputting more frames than can actually be rendered by your monitor (your probably running at [email protected]) so enabling vsync you actually wont take a hit on FPS as your not getting more than 60fps anyways (screen refreshes 60 times per second- 60hz) Yes you get 2 or 3 frames on one screen refresh but that looks like crap.

Neuromancer

Yah, you cant see more than 60FPS on a 60Hz screen. Don't worry about frame loss. I imagine the 275 should be pumpong what.. 3-400 FPS in that game?

I am running my 2400XT powering two 1680x1050 monitors, one screen running Civ4 in windowed mode at 1280x800 and the seond running WMP and IM and browser window. (At full screen gaming the video occasionally skips, but that might be my quad core, it is running at 900 MHZ 1.05vcore right now :) )

Works great :) (Although I have not taken FPS captchas to see how fast it is rendering.

Theocnoob

Yah, you cant see more than 60FPS on a 60Hz screen. Don't worry about frame loss. I imagine the 275 should be pumpong what.. 3-400 FPS in that game?

I am running my 2400XT powering two 1680x1050 monitors, one screen running Civ4 in windowed mode at 1280x800 and the seond running WMP and IM and browser window. (At full screen gaming the video occasionally skips, but that might be my quad core, it is running at 900 MHZ 1.05vcore right now :) )

Works great :) (Although I have not taken FPS captchas to see how fast it is rendering.

Wasn't the idea of underclocking to POST, screenshot, laugh, reset to something respectable?

ratbuddy

Wasn't the idea of underclocking to POST, screenshot, laugh, reset to something respectable?

No, the idea of underclocking/undervolting is to reduce power consumption. I think that's pretty respectable, don't you?

OP
Z

zerobdr78

Thanks for all the quick replies. I might just as well turn v-sync and triple buffering on. I guess this is a common problem with those playing games on a PC because from what I understand most LCDs are 60hz with some going up to 75hz. Thanks again for all the help