• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 280 random colors on screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FoldingAddict

Intel Fanboy
Well, my baby seems to be sick with something.

It all started about a week ago. Let me start with what was going on before vs. now. The problem started out mild. When booting Windows 7 RC1 sometimes on completion of boot and loading Windows, the machine would lockup, and random red/green/blue streaks (sometimes following the outline of my desktop background) would appear all over the screen. However after 4 or 5 reboots, it would eventually get into Windows fine, and I'd be able to game.

Fast forward to today. Was getting a lot of frame lag/skipping when using FRAPS (sometimes happens, reboot corrects it). So I rebooted and rebooted and rebooted. I was never able to get a clean boot again (25+ reboots.) No matter what I had the coloration/lockup, booted fine in safe mode though.

Now, I have reverted back to XP, and everything appears to run fine in Windows. However the moment I try to run WoW, I get a lockup at the menu and random coloration. I get something similar when running a DX test in DXDiag.

I have re-seated the card, brushed off all the dust, ran memtest for 7 hours. Running out of ideas here. Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts with which to test the card/rest of the components.

Any ideas?

~FA

tinymouse2

I had a similar thing happen but I'm still not sure what was wrong =( What does rivertuner say your temps are? also are you running it everything at stock? Some screenies would also be quite nice.

OP
FoldingAddict

FoldingAddict

Intel Fanboy
I had a similar thing happen but I'm still not sure what was wrong =( What does rivertuner say your temps are? also are you running it everything at stock? Some screenies would also be quite nice.

Rivatuner graph.
rivatuner1.jpg

What it looks like on my Dell E228WFP (taken with my iPhone, so garbage quality)
Picture.jpg

I've tried a couple of other things. Moved the card to the other PCI-E slot. Pulled out all RAM except one stick. Cleared the BIOS. I'm starting to lean towards bad video memory or some such, though if that's the case I'm screwed.

~FA

tinymouse2

Yeh that's bad VRam I'm afraid, VERY bad VRam. The cards as good as dead, no two ways about it. I started noticing small off patches of colour (blue or purple when it should be white) then a few days later everything kinda exploded into that. I could only run it with windows 95 installed, anything later seemed to put to much stress on the Video card.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as far as I know the cards as good as dead. It's not a faulty connection it's the actual memory on the card that's become corrupted and nothing that I tried could fix it (flashing it, flashing the whole bios, oven trick and finally a large hammer ;_;)

tinymouse2

If it's the same problem as me then the oven trick won't work. This happened to my 7900gs but also to my 8400 (gt?)
I followed the instructions both times and followed advice other people gave and nothing better came out of it. Sell it as slightly used on ebay?

OP
FoldingAddict

FoldingAddict

Intel Fanboy
Do you have a warranty? That's the first option; RMA.

If that's a no-go then try the oven-trick.

Out of warranty I think. I guess I'll give the oven trick a try and let you guys know.

It's just so odd to me that XP runs perfectly, but the moment I try to do ANYTHING 3D, it crashes. :( What a waste of money this card was.

~FA

OP
FoldingAddict

FoldingAddict

Intel Fanboy
Problem fixed. Popped it in the oven for exactly 8 minutes @ 385 degrees and when I tested it out (not really expecting anything from this method) it worked perfectly. No telling how long it will last though.

But, thanks for the input and suggestions guys, you were a real help!

~FA

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Problem fixed. Popped it in the oven for exactly 8 minutes @ 385 degrees and when I tested it out (not really expecting anything from this method) it worked perfectly. No telling how long it will last though.

But, thanks for the input and suggestions guys, you were a real help!

~FA

Awesome, glad it worked. It will at least give you time to save some money for a replacement card in case it keeps messing up, but hopefully that won't be the case.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
You might actually have a component on your GPU which is broken, rather than just solder joints coming loose and needing re-melting.