• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 580 Whine or Screech Sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
D

dominatorx

Registered
I checked out the thread - useful but that sound does not come from my PSU and is way above the recommendation for my GPU.
My GPU needs a minimum 600W and my PSU is a gigabyte 720W.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Coil whine... annoying but it happens. You can put nail polish on the coils to stop it.

The amount of power needed is not relevant in this situation.

OP
D

dominatorx

Registered
I could do that, but does that sound indicate that some components are stressed and could be possibly damaged because i wouldn't want to waste my gtx 580.

OP
D

dominatorx

Registered
Earthdog can you please give me some more information about this "coil whine" - thanks

By the way this cannot be a capacitor squeal due to more voltage, right?

Conumdrum

Coil whine is from the frequencies that the GPU or PSU power section operates at. At some freq, a harmonic is 'just right' for the coil to vibrate at an audible freq. It's uncommon, it happens.

Use a longinsh metal tool that has a insulated shaft or a mechanics stethoscope. Put heatshrink over the long shaft except the tip.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-41966.html

If you can find the noisy coil, get nail polish, cover it.

Cap squeal is from the cap venting usually, a fail waiting to happen.

Or, RMA the card.

OP
D

dominatorx

Registered
Thanks for the info.
But how do i know whether it is a capacitor squeal or a coli whine?

I'm not sure whether i can rma my card although its in the warranty period because, this sound only comes after overclocking and overvolting specially under load