• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 590 GPU 1 Higher Temps than GPU 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IS3

Registered
Hello OCF,

Before we start:
GTX 590 - watercooled using XSPC GTX 590 Razor.
1x 240 Rad, 1x140 Rad.

This thread is in conjunction to my very first thread regarding my GTX 590 going 100 degrees...

I thought it was an issue with applying thermal paste, or not tightening the screws not touching the waterblock properly. But after researching in different forums I cant seem to find an answer.

So i tried to troubleshoot it by disabling SLI in NVIDIA Control Panel. Setting GPU 1 as the main Physix GPU and this made GPU 2 the active GPU.

Played games and with MSI Afterburner as my OSD, i can see GPU 2 at 99% load has a stable temp of 45 degrees Celsius.

This made me think, what if GPU 1 is broken or is getting there? Any ideas? As much as i want to use SLI, now I am stuck with single...

Thank you.

In SLI, the top card (usually the primary) is almost always hotter than the bottom card. Having said that, I'm not sure that's the case with the 590. Is your CPU in that loop as well? If so, what CPU is it?

The GTX 5XX series cards were notoriously hot, especially the higher end ones. The 590 is essentially 2 of the highest end (and therefor hottest) cards stuck together. So, I feel like if your CPU is something like an older i7 or something and it's in the same loop, you probably don't have enough rad space in it.

I do have my CPU in the loop. It is an i7-4790 stock. and it is in stable 35-38 degrees full load.

What i dont understand is, how come GPU1 does not appear to be stable in temp compared to GPU2 that also runs the same load as GPU1. and also when i made GPU1 do nothing, GPU2 shows an impressive stable temps of 45 degrees full load. That is why i thought, sure given that GPU1 runs hotter, it should not reach extreme levels ( 95 and up degrees ).

Have you tried using each separately(only as the only card), to at least establish a baseline temp for each card? There is almost never an exact temp comparison, but a slight difference is usually nothing to worry about. If you find, however, that one has a large difference from the other, there can be a problem with the higher temp card.

Have you tried using each separately(only as the only card), to at least establish a baseline temp for each card? There is almost never an exact temp comparison, but a slight difference is usually nothing to worry about. If you find, however, that one has a large difference from the other, there can be a problem with the higher temp card.

590 is a dual-gpu single card solution with essentially two GTX 570s onboard (more like GTX575 by performance, but that's not important).

OP - if you just run the 2nd GPU as Physx and let GPU1 do all the work what are the temps like? If they are still reaching near 100C then I would guess either something is wrong with that GPU core or your mount.

Back