• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 660 OC overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

laci90

Registered
So here is my card a GTX 660 OC which is factory overclocked i used MSI afterburner to overclock it even further an i tried increasing the voltage by little like +5 mv (maximum i tried was +24mv still didn't see any change only higher temps) then increasing the core clock by 100 mhz then 150 then 200 which became unstable games crash drivers crash anyway what i wanted to ask is:
1.Does overclocking without increasing the voltage still damage the card?
2.Does it worth overclocking the memory clock?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That was tough to read without periods... :p

1. Increasing voltage to reasonable limits doesn't really 'damage' the card. Its when you go past those limits where the damage happens (talking above and beyond normal wear from use)
2. Yes. Not as much as the core does, but it will help.

OP
L

laci90

Registered
I didn't really see any improvements in fps from memory overclock approximately 2-3 fps gain which isn't really worth the driver crash

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
2-3 FPS is a gain. Not a big one, but it's a gain. Just lower it back a notch or two so it doesn't crash........ or just leave it at stock. :)

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
If your driver crashes then you're going too far. Typically you can make gains on core and memory speed. Adding some voltage won't "kill" your card Nvidia makes sure you can't add too much without doing modifications to the card. Also make sure you are raising the power limit to it's maximum.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Are you hitting the power limit? Use MSI AB (the monitoring/graph) to see how much of the power limit you are using. Since you barely touched the voltage, you likely are not hitting it.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
119 = 119% of rated power...that's pretty good.

I had difficulty getting my old GTX 660 to overclock well.