• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED GTX 660 Ti throttling in Heaven!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

I have both power connectors connected. Should I chuck or bake the card?

It does show 99 percent of TDP, thus this may be another Nvidia conspiracy...

Heaven_Throttling_GTX_660_Ti.jpg

Last edited:
Why is there two instances in the task bar ?

what are the temps before it throttles down ???

show sensor tab of gpuz

If it is indeed throttling considering the age have you tried removing the heatsink and re doing the the TIM and cleaning the heatsink?

It does show 99 percent of TDP, thus this may be another Nvidia conspiracy...
Have you checked WHY its throttling before tossing out conspiracy theory crap? Use GPUz, the sensor tab, to tell you why its actually throttling. ;)

The two instances are for the GUI and the 'application'. This is how it normally runs IIRC.

Last edited:
Did you restart the PC ?? In the newer Windows drivers will lock in a "safe mode" not sure what else to call it, if they crash and only a restart will bring them out of it. Very frustrating when benching

OK, I wiped the HDD and chose Windows 7 SP1 and it looks much better, but Heaven still looks like I'm on a boat!

Despite that, it stomps on the GT 640!

Wut? Looks much better? I thought performance and throttling was the issue? What do you mean by "looks like you are on a boat"?

:eh?:

What do you mean by "looks like you are on a boat"?

:eh?:

It still pulsates! But, the clocks look much better. Just to even get it to look as good as this, apparently, requires changing the power limit to 120 percent at stock clocks!

What pulsates? Nothing pulsates in that benchmark... no idea what you are saying, LOL!

When you raise it to 120%, what does the Power use show in MSI AB? Are you breaking 100% I assume?

What pulsates? Nothing pulsates in that benchmark... no idea what you are saying, LOL!

When you raise it to 120%, what does the Power use show in MSI AB? Are you breaking 100% I assume?

Yes, I actually do, despite stock clocks! It also keeps jerking in a rhythmic fashion! It appears that dynamic clocking is interfering with Heaven!

Never noticed or tried... intersting!

Glad its working though! :)

I also noticed a strange bug, manually setting the fan to high causes throttling! Looks like Nvidia may deal with a class-action lawsuit, if enough folks make a ton of noise!

The fan uses power which counts towards the power limit... play with it on idle and see.

You are all about conspiracy theories today aren't you? :-/

The problem appears to be gone now! That was after I went back to Windows 7 SP1 x64, went to 306.23, MSI Afterburner with skin changed to MSI Cyborg Afterburner skin by Drerex Design then manually raise the clock while Heaven was running!

I was able to have the GPU be held at about 915 Mhz instead of being forced to P5 state with clock in the 500s.

This is the strangest glitch of all video cards I owned!

Looks like I killed this bug! I think I found the problem! I saw that the BIOS got flashed with an Asus BIOS, when I was looking up data in Nvidia Inspector!

So I flashed the BIOS with an eVGA BIOS image at TechPowerUp and choose the one for 915 Mhz base clock and it's looking good!

Looks like my buddy went ahead and flashed another BIOS on it, even if I objected to it! When he had the card...

It was acting real strange before that, now the boost clock is kicking in as intended! I'm afraid that the Asus BIOS is more than just a higher TDP setting and clocks. :(

Butter-smooth in Unigine Heaven! No filthy carburetor engine-like bucking anymore!

Back