• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780 SLI vs. single GTX 980Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myndlessdayz

wingman99

+1 Go single card a lot of games don't support SLI and you don't double your performance with SLI some games show vary little improvement.

OP
M

magellan

Id guess it would match or beat it. Not sure, but you can find an sli review and see.

That said, I wouldn't do it (sli). Power use, noise, potential hassle...versus one card is just not worth it. Sell your 780 and grab a 980ti. :)

Edit: I googled and found this (many more like it) https://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?182976-GTX-780-SLI-vs-GTX-980-Ti-benchmarks

The Metro:LL benchmarks looked really bad in 780 SLI, I think those black lines indicate a lot of significant framerate variation.

How well do SLI and Crossfire work on Windows 10 relative to Windows 7?

OP
M

magellan

I know I probably shouldn't shoehorn this question into this thread, but isn't one of the big attractions of DX12 that you can use any two video cards in parallel to process graphics data? So that you can basically crossfire/SLI any two video cards? Or can you only crossfire DX12 compliant video cards?
The author of the article ED quoted stated that new console-centric games are working so badly w/SLI he wouldn't even consider an SLI rig.

wingman99

Were did you find that information about DX12? From what I have read about DX12 it manly helps with CPU efficiency so you can use a older CPU to power a new game.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I know I probably shouldn't shoehorn this question into this thread, but isn't one of the big attractions of DX12 that you can use any two video cards in parallel to process graphics data? So that you can basically crossfire/SLI any two video cards? Or can you only crossfire DX12 compliant video cards?
The author of the article ED quoted stated that new console-centric games are working so badly w/SLI he wouldn't even consider an SLI rig.

Were did you find that information about DX12? From what I have read about DX12 it manly helps with CPU efficiency so you can use a older CPU to power a new game.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm

wingman99

I know I probably shouldn't shoehorn this question into this thread, but isn't one of the big attractions of DX12 that you can use any two video cards in parallel to process graphics data? So that you can basically crossfire/SLI any two video cards? Or can you only crossfire DX12 compliant video cards?.

I just finished reading the article about the new DX12 there was no mention of SLI or Crossfire only CPU enhancements, reduced overhead, better threading, and ultimately a vastly more efficient means of submitting draw calls.