• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 970: Half of screen turns black during gameplay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Towel

Registered
Hello,

I just put together my computer a couple of months ago. I have an issue where the full screen turns either blue, pink, or brown, goes back to the normal screen and then the bottom half of the screen turns black and starts to flicker. For the past 3 weeks I have had this problem happen sporadically (about 5-6 times). It happens when I play Starcraft 2: LOTV and Witcher 3. My Gpu temperature usually goes to 80 degrees Celsius when I game. I have not overclocked anything in my computer.

What do you think the problem could be and what should I do to resolve the issue?

Here is a video of the problem:

My specifications:
CPU: i7-4790k 4.0 Ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 4GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9 Dual Channel kit
Hard Drive: Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB
MOBO: Asus Z-97A USB 3.1
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-15
Case: Corsair 400R

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Tried a different display input?
Sounds like you need better case ventilation if you are hitting 80°C on a 970.

OP
T

Towel

Registered
Hey thanks for the reply.

When I first got the monitor I was using the Dsub input and it looked faint lines were going up and down the monitor. I used this input for about a month before switching to the DVI input. Switching to the DVI input removed the faint lines. I can't recall if the monitor acted like the way it is now when I was using the Dsub input. I am currently using the DVI input.

I have a couple spots where I can put fans. What is the ideal temperature under load for a GTX 970?

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
An easier thing to try first would be to use a tool like EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner and set a different fan profile.

I found that if I ran the fan on my GTX 970 at 50% constant speed (still quiet) the temps stay under 70 C.

If you still can't get your temps down, then you will need more fresh air flowing into your case as ATMINSIDE said.