• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX1070Ti EEPROM Programming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

razia

Hey there,

I'm attempting to fix a 1070Ti that was flashed with 1080 firmware. I suspect this was done using NVFLASH as the damages (more bellow) to the card seem like that was the only route taken.

This post is more to serve as a reference for people that might encounter the same issues as I did as well as a place to give some feedback on the steps I've taken or might not have taken.

The card I have is the MSI GTX 1070Ti Titanium Edition.

A nice and semi-detailed breakdown can be found here:

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8G Review

Now on to the background and what I've tried so far.

So I recently bought a "broken" 1070ti that still boots into windows but only if it's used as a secondary.

In device manager it shows as a 1080 and as we all know they are not cross compatible firmware due to the memory differences.

I've tried all flags for NVFLASH as well as older and newer versions but no matter what override or flag or switch I use, the software flashing result remains the same.

(Will post error codes later. But it's essentially subsystem ID mismatch)

I began researching a way that the bios could be forced to a read mode.

Some of the suggestions went as far as baking the card others reffered to shorting the 0 and 4 pin on the bios chip (Windbond 25Q40EWNIG)

Both of which appears to have been done to this card as the board and components look way older (browner) than my 1070. The bios chip also has some solder on it on the pins mentioned above. Luckily it doesnt make contact with the other pins so he might of had some soldering experience.

I've tried all of the above so far except the baking as i know that won't be an issue.

The next thing I'm going to try is a hard flash with an eeprom programmer. I'm just waiting for my shipment which should arrive by mid July. It contains an eeprom programmer and a clamp for the SPI25 chips.

I'll provide more info if needed.

On to the questions:

Would the GDDR5 memory get damaged by booting up with a lower voltage (1.3v) compared to the 1.5v that the 1070Ti's memory runs at?

Would the incorrect bios have damaged anything that I should know of? According to me the bios wouldn't have recognised the memory and simply seen it as non functioning?

Would baking the card have damaged the technically working components?

Anyone have experience with flashing Pascal architecture?

Ideally you'd hope that no damage was done to any of the circuitry, any number of things could go wrong with incorrect voltages or signals to the wrong pins on the PWM. I think it's really hard to say what if anything may have happened. It shouldn't have damaged any of the main components like mem chips or core. With luck the mismatched BIOS just shut the card down and hopefully it's recoverable with a new BIOS.
Good Luck! Hope you didn't pay much for it.

Have you contacted msi and asked if they might have a fix for it. Wouldn’t tell them you bought it broken. But they may offer to install the correct bois for free if you ship to them. Hypertech fixed my programmer and ecu for free when the dealer couldn’t or wouldn’t after the programmer froze up during programming.

Have you contacted msi and asked if they might have a fix for it. Wouldn’t tell them you bought it broken. But they may offer to install the correct bois for free if you ship to them. Hypertech fixed my programmer and ecu for free when the dealer couldn’t or wouldn’t after the programmer froze up during programming.

If it was cross flashed they won't touch it.
Matter of fact, if it was flashed at all, and they find out, they won't touch it.

Back