• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX260 Overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azace

Registered
I am in the process of overclocking my CPU. Running some tests right now to verify stability.

I also wanted to overclock my GPU. I got a GTX260 Superclocked edition.

I don't have any aftermarket cooling products in my computer other then a few extra case fans in my Antec Nine Hundred Two.

Any recommendations as to how far to take it and test stability etc etc?

Zantal

I am in the process of overclocking my CPU. Running some tests right now to verify stability.

I also wanted to overclock my GPU. I got a GTX260 Superclocked edition.

I don't have any aftermarket cooling products in my computer other then a few extra case fans in my Antec Nine Hundred Two.

Any recommendations as to how far to take it and test stability etc etc?

so first of all get this http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/#download

it also explains the cause of the artifacts.

try first overclocking your core and shader clocks, (keep memory on stock)
you have to run that test for more to ten minutes to see if the card is stable, because it needs quite some time for the gpu to heat up, which means a card can be stable in the beginning and then start artifacting after.
that is your limit. then overclock the memory, in this case a 10-15% overclock will do the job.

remember to unlink core and shader clocks, you can set different clocks for them but remember that the shader clock has to be 2x the core clock or the settings won't apply, since shaders do the major work maxing those out first is a good strategy.

in case you don't notice artifacting or your computer simply freezes or windows just happily told you "the driver has stopped working bla bla bla"
it might be a PSU problem or something else i don't know

have fun

GatorChamp

Also if you search through the Nvidia second of this forums there is a lot of results from people who have GTX 260s. Will give you an idea of where you stand.