• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guess who just got back from AMD RealityCheck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Yup, yours truely. I went to the San Diego one and managed to escape with two T-shirts and one Athlon XP 2100+, stepping AGOIA0219 9.

For those of you that want to make it into the rig building contest, some questions asked were the following:

who founded AMD?
what year was it founded?
how many pins are on an athlon xp processor?
what is the newest northbridge chipset amd has?
how much cache is on the athlon xp? duron?
what does nic stand for?
what does pci stand for?
What is the name of the new 64 bit architecture amd will be releasing? (x86-64, not clawhammer)
what is the name of the architecture of the athlon xp?

That's about all I can remember at the moment. Hope it gets you all to the end to win the $2500. I wasn't even called up to do the trivia thingie.

Now for the most important question of the day: What cpu am I supposed to use in my rig? I'm using a 1400Mhz thunderbird right now, but have an athlon xp 1600+ agoia Y stepping cpu coming in the next few days. Now I'm up to 3 cpus and only one rig. Soo...do I use the 1600+ and overclock the hell out of it or use the 2100+ and only get a mild overclock?

cack01

When I found out that it was coming to San Diego, I really wanted to come home, but I had a midterm to study for :-(.

AMD held a Micromouse competition at my school last year, and they asked the same questions and the ones who got it right got a T-shirt. They also had a contest to guess how many transistors an XP had. Very generous company. When it comes to T-shirts.

OP
Krusty

Krusty

cack01 said:
When I found out that it was coming to San Diego, I really wanted to come home, but I had a midterm to study for :-(.

Heh, should have joined me at UC San Diego dude. I had mid terms last week and will have two more next week. No mid terms for halloween/amd week:D

new_novice

you lucky dog you, did you win it or bought it? hmmm I'd say try the 1600 to see how far you can go and then move on to 2100 one. good luck, and if you have to use for it, donate it as a prize for FOLDING :D, we'd forever be grateful :D

OP
Krusty

Krusty

deathstar13 said:
was the xp 2100 free?

It sure was. They gave away 50 throughout the evening in a raffle. My roommates are very ****ed at me now because I'm always the one that gets lucky and wins stuff. Two weeks ago, at a Microsoft .NET lecture, I won a C# for Java developers book, a $50 value for free cuz I'm a lucky bas***d

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Krusty said:
Yup, yours truely. I went to the San Diego one and managed to escape with two T-shirts and one Athlon XP 2100+, stepping AGOIA0219 9.

For those of you that want to make it into the rig building contest, some questions asked were the following:

who founded AMD?

Jerry Sanders.

what year was it founded?

how many pins are on an athlon xp processor?

what is the newest northbridge chipset amd has?

The 760MPX (762)

how much cache is on the athlon xp? duron?

Both have 64kb L1 cache. Duron has 64 KB L2 and Athlon has 256kb L2.

what does nic stand for?

Network Interface Card

what does pci stand for?

Peripheral Components Interconnect

What is the name of the new 64 bit architecture amd will be releasing? (x86-64, not clawhammer)

x86-64, but you already answered that one. For good measure the competing architecture is Intel's IA-64.

what is the name of the architecture of the athlon xp?

QuantiSpeed

That's about all I can remember at the moment. Hope it gets you all to the end to win the $2500. I wasn't even called up to do the trivia thingie.

Now for the most important question of the day: What cpu am I supposed to use in my rig? I'm using a 1400Mhz thunderbird right now, but have an athlon xp 1600+ agoia Y stepping cpu coming in the next few days. Now I'm up to 3 cpus and only one rig. Soo...do I use the 1600+ and overclock the hell out of it or use the 2100+ and only get a mild overclock?

Dude I hope I win.

:D

sb

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
Krusty OC the s*** out of the 1600 and start building another rig for the 2100. I did mine 1 pc a week until I had it all. Only 1 part over $70, the Corsair 3200c2. It took a couple months but didnt hurt the wallet too much.

Twyst

Alot of the same questions that Krusty mentioned were asked at the atlanta, GA event but they also asked:

What was the fastest original speed released of the Athlon XP?

L1 cache size of Athlon XP, Duron
L2 cache size of Athlon XP, Duron

AMD main manufacturing plant is located where?

specific

Penguin4x4 said:
Somewhere in Jersey, right?

Dresden, Germany

They also only gave away 33 cpu's in the Atlanta raffles. All i got was a t-shirt and a bag though.
I died laughing when somebody threw a tshirt back onstage.

badvector

Hey Ninja,

I registered for the Detroit show but after I saw the newest location I doubt if I go. Don't know if you are familiar with Detroit City Airport area, but not the safest section of the city to say the least. I talked to a couple of folks that work at the airport and they just laughed. My life is not worth a $100 processor.

BinarySuperman

man i didn't think they would ask those kinda hard questions, i guess this event is for people obsessed with AMD, i hope they ask the same questions at the event im going to.

Computer Ninja

Registered
badvector said:
Hey Ninja,

I registered for the Detroit show but after I saw the newest location I doubt if I go. Don't know if you are familiar with Detroit City Airport area, but not the safest section of the city to say the least. I talked to a couple of folks that work at the airport and they just laughed. My life is not worth a $100 processor.

Badvector, come on, Detroit isn't THAT bad!!! Seriously. Anyway, I went to this thing last night, at around 6:30. Waited in line until 7:00, then found out I didn't register for the channel partner event which was 7-8:30. The guy from AMD told me I could wait around until 8:30. The hell with that!!! I wasn't going to wait around for the chance to win a $100-$150 processor! Besides, most of the people in line were dweebs!