• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[GUIDE] Forcing backup BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the PC is shutting down I would suspect a bad PSU or Processor.

It happened thrice only, after reboot and bios wont load (now since last 3 hours) since machine is up, there is no shut down etc.
Even games, work, heavy usage is fine. (consuming more CPU, etc.)

How do i check the right issue ? (Do you suggest making a new topic) ?

PC works absolutely perfect for 3-5 days until, I have to shut down or reboot.

Keep all your problems in this thread. Run prime95 and see if it will shut down, that will tell if it is the PSU or processor.

It looks like the motherboard is the problem.
It seems motherboard is surely the problem, still the problem persists.. I am able to get the led indicator on mobo on via the PSU method.. (ony this works after lot of tries) specially after turning off PC for hour or 2..

I contacted Gigabyte support esupport.gigabyte.com they asked me to check the serial number on mobo (I dont have the s/n visible).
I have asked them to let me know nearest service center as I am ready to bear the costs of repairs if any.

I am still surprised, I turned on the PC yesterday (IT SWITCHED OFF ITSELF from Windows OS 7, AFTER 30+ hours) I was running bluestacks emulator properly for that many hours), I turned on a movie using VLC and it switched off.
I turned it on again using PSU method and started using 2 emulators bluestacks and memu, it turned off itself after 1 hour automatically..

Now its on for past 2 hours and no issues so far (just browsing) using firefox.

Anyway to locate the Serial number on motherboard ? I dont have the box etc.
We are into Digital Media and recived this motherboard from a channel partner who are no longer in business last year.

And BIG THANKS to all the overclockers members for helping me.. :)

Hey guys thank you for all the help.
I have the motherboard a try with different Psu and it is absolutely fine.
So far

That is great. Did you RMA the Gigabyte motherboard?

Thanks bro for reply..
I think Gigabyte is ruining India, I am being open..
They dont have official service centers in cities where major boards are sold..

Even inspite of paying for motherboard issues, they wont check for problems.. this is BAD/WORSE for customer..

I could have send much more information.. but anyways..

This is how many other GIANT companies work in India.. (A FKING BIG LOL...)..

I could send you a screen of my PC... how its running now..

Last edited:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

...is all I can say...

I just TRIED it because I wanted to step back from F7 to F4 (factory) on my GA-AB350M Gaming 3 mobo (feat 'a RYZEN 3) ! afterwards to reading the first 3 posts ... :) pps: no jumper or ****

so.. method 1: pc locked down and no bios failsafe or whatever... STUNNED > (look at my first line)

then.. method 2 (dead++): alright ! everythings fine backup bios loaded, safed to usb, reloaded... GO !

BUT I had to power on first (twice), and THEN hold the reset button for about 10 sec.. so m-bios was shut down

*UPDATE*

since lockdown I don't have access to main bios only backup and doesn't flash on main !!! i have to repeat procedure everytime I turn off my PC and on....

..WHAT CAN I DO TO reactivate the original bios chip?.. ??? I tried pins 4 to 7 AND 5+6 at bootup but nothing!!

thanks for listening !

cya!

Last edited:
Hi

Wen you boot to backup bios it clears your main bios and resets it, so your on your main Bios now.

Hi Unfortunetly that is not true, on "Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3" it dont have a hardware switch for Bios that is True but..

Short version:
It doesent clears and copys the backup Bios over the main (corrupted) Bios after booted to the Backup Bios

Long Explanation:
After I updated my main Bios to F10 Bios and it doesnt started I managed to get to the Backup Bios with the 10 second Hold and release Power and Reset button tactic (its a mess and it isnt 100% sometime you need to release reset 1sec sooner as the Power to get it work) And I only had one memory stick in the bord to get it work. After I sucsessfully booted to the Backup Bios (Version F7 in my case) I had the grea Idea to upgrade the F7 Bios to F8 Bios (I like to live dangerously I know) So I booted up Win10 and with the @BioS utility from Gigabyte I flashed F7 to F8 and hit Restart.
ANNND IT DOESNT BOOTED :( So with the sad understanding that my Main Bios F10 wont boot and My Secondary Bios F8 wont boot either I went asleep.
But next day with Iron Will and a lot of morning coffe I started to get thinkering around. And Just so I switched the one Memory Stick from Slot 1 to slot 4
And voila it booted up with F8 Bios. So the Secondary.
I booted Win 10 and wanted to change the boot up logo to something else in F8 to konw when I booting F10 but the Gigabyte logo update funktion inside their program freezd out 3times so I just hit reboot and and dont know how it booted up Bios one with F10 and one memory stick in slot 4.

So

F10 dont got overwritten from The secondary F8

Now at that point I could just boot into Win10 and flash F8 over F10 again to have my Main Bios also on F8 again
But I got stubborn about the memory slot missery so why F10 booted up with ome memory and it wont with two or with the other memory which I have and is identical with my first one odo it doesent load F10 if I swich them (2x8GB Geil G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZB Intel XMP 2.0 Ready)

I put my second Ram into the bord to slot 2 and tryd to boot up, and it didnt so I started to switch the slots again and again and after
I put only one memory into slot 4 again it booted up in F8 again.
So F10 is still there and we Booting into F8 the secondary Bios every Time we boot.
I managed to use booth my sticks with F8 so I have 16GB fortunetly again but I cant get to F10 the Main bios since then
That is where I am right now... If I have the how to enter main Bios answer I will write it here.

Peace

hi just got an email reminder .. :)

but unfortunately all I want to tell you is that what you describe is about 100% of that what I posted one post before..

when main bios got 'hit' it seem so be broken anyhow.. GA-ab350 g3 ANd m-vwersion like mine don't correctly restore main bios, however I was able to flash the backup bios again and again via f9 key in bios but not inside win10 neither change bios logo !

when I tried flashing the main bios as usual in win 10 it always got stuck AND every reboot I had to do the procedere to hold reset button 10 sec, until boot into recovery bios (whatever I flashed back then!!)

call it a BUG or more likely a FAILURE.. but bring back the mobo you will get free like DOA warranty for it ! (bios failure in my case)

and remember to check in to gigabyte support to explain your case they will tell you to contact your supplier ..

have a nice day !

Hi Mario1, I signed up just to thank you personally. I bought my gaming PC last month for nearly $4K and today I waited it to boot an extra second faster (by bypassing that stupid initial BIOS Gigabye logo) intro and it bricked itself with the Blue Screen. Nothing worked - I couldn't even connect a mouse/keyboard or USB drive to boot into safe mode nothing. Your Mobo reset trick holding the reset/power button for a few minutes and releasing hard-reset my motherboard and I was able to go in and change settings back and it worked like new.

You have saved me a lot of grief not to mention productivity for work etc. I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely.
Kevin

As with the previous poster, I joined just thank you for this thread.

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z270N

Suspected Boot Failure Cause: Attempting to change BIOS boot options on a working system.

Symptoms: Fail to POST, no beeps, power recycling (Initial power up lasted about 15-20 seconds, then continuously rebooted at about ten second intervals.)

Unsuccessful attempts: Disconnect peripherals, remove video card, PSU change, remove heat sink, replace thermal paste.

Unsuccessful CMOS Resets: Disconnect cmos battery, short cmos jumpers, wait several hours after previous, numerous POWER+RESET combinations.

Success using #3 (#1 and #2 unsuccessful). First attempt at shorting BIOS pins 1/6 did not POST, but did stop power recycling. Second shorting attempt resulted in brief display of logo followed by blinking cursor. Rebooted again using normal power switch and DEL key and was able to enter setup.

I'd done a lot of searching over many hours and had found no solutions which worked for me until finding this thread.

Most grateful thanks.

I recently encountered a BIOS problem. My x470 aorus ultra gaming mobo just stop working, no post and the debug leds lights at the CPU and shift to DRAM then shift back to CPU immediately in a lopp. I knew something was wrong so I searched for answers.

I found out that my mobo has a back up bios. Thanks to this thread I was able to force it because doing step 1 does not work for me.

Now I booted up normally, updated my BIOS but unsure if the one I updated was the main bios. No options to switch via qflash, there's no bios switch either on this mobo sadly.

After a day of working the backup bios stop working as well just like what happened to the main bios about the leds thing. Now both of them like that. Is there anyway I can flash a bios with no post? or should I just rma the board?

I recently encountered a BIOS problem. My x470 aorus ultra gaming mobo just stop working, no post and the debug leds lights at the CPU and shift to DRAM then shift back to CPU immediately in a lopp. I knew something was wrong so I searched for answers.

I found out that my mobo has a back up bios. Thanks to this thread I was able to force it because doing step 1 does not work for me.

Now I booted up normally, updated my BIOS but unsure if the one I updated was the main bios. No options to switch via qflash, there's no bios switch either on this mobo sadly.

After a day of working the backup bios stop working as well just like what happened to the main bios about the leds thing. Now both of them like that. Is there anyway I can flash a bios with no post? or should I just rma the board?

At the point you are at now I would RMA the motherboard there is something defective with the BIOS chip.

Agreed.......though, is that covered for RMA, BIOS flashing gone wrong, on that card?

EDIT: Wrong thread... I thought this was RE: the GPU BIOS flashing thread, LOl!

Thanks for this thread. I combined it with Thread http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-to-reset-gigabyte-motherboard-bios.html

Sympton: Computer shows Gigabyte UEFI Dual Boot blue screen then reboots constantly
kraken-gigabyte-uefi-dualbios-screen-1024x576.jpg

The following steps worked for MB Gigabyte B75M-D3V:
1. Shut down PC. Then unplug Power Supply
2. Remove CMOS battery
3. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 20 sec, then release. (=> To discharge electric in capacitors)
4. Plug Power Supply
5. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
6. Press the power button again

Result: BIOS is re-flashed.
suc.jpg
Last but not least, don't forget to plug CMOS battery. Good luck, guys.

Last edited:
Wow, it worked!
Thought my MB was dead (old z77 with 3570k), but now it seems like i will be using it for a few months more :D
Thanks a lot!

I have an old GA-Z87-D3HP that has been boot looping. I've tried all 3 methods to no avail. But I'm going to have a go at it again. One question though. How are you able to hear a beep? I don't have pc speakers? I am going to try method 3 by hold it for a long time to see if anything triggers. Also, when you short it, what should I use to best short out the pins? I've used a paperclip which is hard to keep on there. I also have tweezers that I have used multiple times to power on a motherboard with no case.

Method #2 worked on my Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H instantly, so I signed up here just to say thank you for saving me a ton of stress Mario1!!!

Back