• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guitar Hero: Metallica review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

So let me start by saying I'm a metallica fan.
Big time.

And I've played the Rock band 1 and 2 games as well as GH II, III, and 80s.

Of the group, this is slightly better. It still isn't nearly what it could or ought to be, quite honestly, given the amount of development time it'd take to accomplish that.

Before I get into details I'd like to give a quick +/- and buy/no buy in case anybody wants to skip the rest.

+It's Metallica
+Sound quality for most of the songs is slightly better than other RB/GH series
+Song selection is limited but good.
+Actual rockers. Not just Lars, James, Kirk, and Rob, but also several other recognizable figures, like Lemmy from Motorhead, who sings with his head leaned back just like in real life. his giant face wart is also perfectly modeled

-facial expressions, overall movements are very crude and underdone
-I understand why they did it but you suddenly go from playing rhythm to lead guitar and back again. Watch some gameplay clips on hard or better to see
-I would have liked to see multiple models and costumes. Angry drunk james, uppity shirtless lars, spaced out kirk, grungey Jason. would have been cool to see 80's models and current models.

Buy it--if you like the band.

Basically, although it's a good iteration of the series, my gripe with it is the same as it always has been-

You HAVE the game engine. You HAVE the controllers. You have to motion capture, draw character models, and sync up some songs with five colored dots for a few different instruments.

You can't include more songs?

Or at least go to the trouble of putting more effort into facial expressions and general movements?

I'd like to see Lars yell at the group when stuff gets messed up. "Are- are you somewhere else right now?"

Overall - for metallica fans 8/10

for other people 6.5/10

zexmarquies01

heh, I bought it the day it came out.

I really like it. I only have a couple gripes....

1. Needs more metallica songs. Why couldn't they have put Kthulu in this game? Seriously, does EVERY rockband / Guitar Hero game HAVE to have lyrics so someone can sing? a couple instrumental songs would have been nice.

How about some songs from Girage Inc.? Serously, I love most of metallica's Covers. Whiskey in the jar, Turn the page, Astronomy. Mercyful Fate should have been in this game! seroulsy, It's a 11 minute song. Would have been GREAT.

2. some of the non-metallica songs are harder ( for me, on the drums ) than a bunch of metallica's songs! I can't stand the drumming style of older rock music. the style is so much more...erratic. The beat changes constantly.

3. Would have been nice if they actually spent the time to split up the lead from the rhythm guitar. They said they didn't do it, due to the amount of time that would have been needed. Not that it *really* matters to me, Since I suck at the guitar, and only play drums.

Really, the lip-syncing isn't a big bother to me. I'd have rather had more songs, instead of perfectly timed lips.

I agree with your rankings. For hardcore metallica fans, It's a 8.5 - 9.0 But for non metallica fans, 6.5 - 7.0 ( out of 10, non of this "anything below a 7 is pure sh*t" style rating. )

OP
Theocnoob

Theocnoob

heh, I bought it the day it came out.

I really like it. I only have a couple gripes....

1. Needs more metallica songs. Why couldn't they have put Kthulu in this game? Seriously, does EVERY rockband / Guitar Hero game HAVE to have lyrics so someone can sing? a couple instrumental songs would have been nice.

How about some songs from Girage Inc.? Serously, I love most of metallica's Covers. Whiskey in the jar, Turn the page, Astronomy. Mercyful Fate should have been in this game! seroulsy, It's a 11 minute song. Would have been GREAT.

2. some of the non-metallica songs are harder ( for me, on the drums ) than a bunch of metallica's songs! I can't stand the drumming style of older rock music. the style is so much more...erratic. The beat changes constantly.

3. Would have been nice if they actually spent the time to split up the lead from the rhythm guitar. They said they didn't do it, due to the amount of time that would have been needed. Not that it *really* matters to me, Since I suck at the guitar, and only play drums.

Really, the lip-syncing isn't a big bother to me. I'd have rather had more songs, instead of perfectly timed lips.

I agree with your rankings. For hardcore metallica fans, It's a 8.5 - 9.0 But for non metallica fans, 6.5 - 7.0 ( out of 10, non of this "anything below a 7 is pure sh*t" style rating. )

I'd pick and choose but basically I agree with your entire post so I'm just going to nod.

I especially agree regarding the limited song suggestion.

Am I evil-- original only? The metallica cover MURDERS it.

There IS an instrumental- but only one- and I don't like it (Orion).

A game called GUITAR HERO not splitting up rhythm and lead is comically pathetic. I will say that.
I murder on guitar. I got 5 stars my first run through on most of the songs and I can play a lot of songs highly successfully on expert... so going "Did I just go from Kirk's part to James? Ya. I did. Lame" doesn't wash with me.

so ya.. +1 to all your other comments too.

pejsaboy

Wait a minute... 'noob, how can you not like Orion?! Most bands couldn't squeeze as much epic into 20 minutes of instrumental as the boys did with Orion's 8 1/2 minutes! It's not quite Ktulu, but what's not to like about it? Is it the melodic lead bass section that gets your goat? Do you like Anasthesia, Cliff in general? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I'm just baffled :confused:

Anyhow, I only played the game for about an hour-ish when I had it rented, so the only complaint I could really come up with was that there were more originals than metallica songs and covers done by metallica. I didn't have everything unlocked of course, but I doubt the ratio of metallica:not metallica changed too much :)

heh, oh yeah. Dig the little cut scene story where James had his fingers crossed while he signed the contract for the openers, lol. Genius!

OP
Theocnoob

Theocnoob

I want Jason Newstead back. I despise Trujillos bass style. He's an excellent player but there is no delicacy to the way he plays.

Orion is great- but under technical for my preferences given it's length.

Cliff is great. He's also sadly deceased. Rest in peace.

Bottom line- Newstead > Trujillo and he left because the rest of the band was too cockish to give him his year off that he wanted.

There's something very wrong with Metallica these days. You do NOT play metal wearing rayon-material basketball clothes. You do not play Metal
with jeans and an expensive shirt. You don't comb your hair and slick it back.

You play metal in ****ty clothes with long-I don't care hair.

Iron maiden looks weird with Bruce's short hair. They're still excellent and haven't slipped in vocals and drums the way Metallica has.

pejsaboy

aright, I gotcha. Fair enough, I'd prefer Jason to be back myself. I haven't heard all of Death Magnetic yet, but I've got no love for St. Anger whatsoever. It will never be a part of my collection. I'm not real particular about the clothes they where, but I'd say you need better than 50% of your band members with long hair. James and Lars went soft not long after they got haircuts ;)

Oh yeah, bring on the GH Iron Maiden :attn::beer: I could go for some GH Motley Crue too...

OP
Theocnoob

Theocnoob

aright, I gotcha. Fair enough, I'd prefer Jason to be back myself. I haven't heard all of Death Magnetic yet, but I've got no love for St. Anger whatsoever. It will never be a part of my collection. I'm not real particular about the clothes they where, but I'd say you need better than 50% of your band members with long hair. James and Lars went soft not long after they got haircuts ;)

Oh yeah, bring on the GH Iron Maiden :attn::beer: I could go for some GH Motley Crue too...

We appear to have the same taste in music :)

Motley crue would be fantastic- especially for the drumming.

They NEED to capture the personalities better though. Lars looks like an alien with giant eyes. Kirk is just flat. Rob has just one emotion- angry rockin... blah.

I want more of an effort put into these games. The fact that they sell like crack without said effort isn't a very good excuse...

I also would appreciate, for the price I'm being charged, for the devs and band to go to the effort of mo-capping more songs. I would have like to see at least 40 metallica songs. They can't all be hits, obviously, but come on... there's 40 good ones..

I agree there should be a motley crue, an iron maiden.. A PROPER 80's version wouldn't hurt either... because GH 80s really blew...

Billy Idol, Dio, Flock of Seagulls, Huey Lewis, Twisted Sister- all real models. No bulls***-- like lemmy is actually lemmy. Do that for everybody. Doesn't have to be dead on.

GH Queen also would be wicked but you'd really need an added keyboard controller for all of Freddy's piano bits so it'd be awkward... Still- they have some of the best stage presence- especially with the signature "I carry it but it has this bizzarre 2 foot long stand on it" mic

OP
Theocnoob

Theocnoob

So I managed to get the drums second hand at a very good price.

I have to say, compared to other stuff I've played in rockband, the drumming in this game is absolutely EXCELLENT. 10/10. It's exactly what I had hoped for and exactly the reason I bought the game and I enjoy it thoroughly.

While I find the drumming for most rockband songs to feel very artificial, drumming in GH metallica on hard is almost exactly laid out the way I've been air-drumming to metallica for years. It was very easy to play the songs I already knew and transfer from air drumming to fake drumming.

The drumming component, for the metallica songs, I give a 9.5/10

For the other songs maybe a 7. They don't feel right.

Overall this is probably the best GH/RB game in my opinion-- which is very very biased because Metallica is one of my favourite musical groups.