• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gunk build ups on my first build leak test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ngfriendly

Hello,
I finished my new build and to find out during my leak test that I found blueish gunk/debirs build ups on the fins of my cpu and gpu blocks possibly blocking the flow of the loop.

I've flushed about 6 times of my 2 radiators before putting into the loop.
The weird thing is I put in distilled water to run it for about 3 hours and emptied it and put in cryofuel clear to really run leak test before making fully operational.
I found this gunk build ups after I put EK Cryofuel and not when I put in the distilled water.

I am not sure if it is directly related or not with EK.

Now I had to take everything apart, disassembled, cleaned and dried out...

I have another EK cryofuel bottle to use.
Before doing that, can I use Blitz kit part 1 and 2 to prevent it happening again?
Would this be some kind of reaction between my barrow parts and ek coolant?

Any advice would be appreciated! 22222222222.jpg 111111111111.jpg

Last edited:
I know nothing about that Cryofuel, but that seems very suspicious. After about 20 years of watercooling and trying various dyes/additives, I have concluded that less is better. Nowadays, I use nothing but distilled water with a drop or two of biocide.

That's the same thing I found in my loop when I took it apart after initial leak testing. After going back through all the steps I took to clean everything before final assembly leak test I realized I didn't use warm enough water to clean the rads and it's just oxidation from the manufacturing process inside the rads. I ran the loop for a week, drained and found more. Ran the loop for a month and found more, after that 3 rd round of cleaning everything has been nice and clean. I would say the gunk you find coming from rads is all dependent on the manufacture of each rad and it's assembly process. really hot water and soap would probably be the best way to break it up faster so you don't have that when you leak test, but I was lazy and in a hurry, so i used luke warm water and didn't mine cleaned that well, instead of removing rads and doing a proper clean, i just ran the loop and fished it out from the CPU block after some time (I don't recommend this method).

It will restrict water flow which can increase pressure in the loop from the pump to that blockage, if any of the fittings and tubing isn't secured it could cause a premature leak, probably the best reason to clean radiators properly the first time. Also that oxidation may have a chemical reaction to the plating in blocks and make it deteriorate, something I did notice in my EK cpu block, but I had heard they had a run of bad luck with some blocks where the nickel plating was flaking off.

Edit: Really hot water = nothing that woudl burn your hands while doing the "Rad Dance."

I currently use mayhems pastel white in my build. I did not get the ratio right.

Because of this there was sediment buildup especially in areas that are horizontal or high in restriction.

My SLI tubes would actually sometimes go clear.

It did not leave any residue though. I believe when the pump is on it all mixed back together.
I also flushed it with distilled water before taking everything apart.

I suggest cleaning everything. Then rinsing with distilled water. If your not confident in cryofuel use something else. Preferably something barrow recommends

Last edited:
Also guessing it's from the rads. Many of us have used croyfuel clear without difficulty.

Back