• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H.D rails making H.D humming 10x worse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I have 2 seagate sata drives, and a coolermaster case with these rails. I've used rails before with another case, and have never had a problem... but for some reason, these just make it worse. The drives even make the case vibrate/hum if i have them sitting on top of each other, loose in the case. I've even tried laying them on rubber mats - still doesn't get rid of the humming, and when I put the side panels on the case, it just gets worse. I'm sure that it's not any other component, as when I power down the two drives, it goes away (one of the drives is worse than the other, though). I'm really clueless on this one... I can hear the humming about 30 feet away in my bedroom (seems to get worse with distance) so it literally is keeping me awake! Has anyone had experience with vibrating, noisy drives?

DragoXT

That does not sound good man. Usually drives that sound like that have a physical hardware issue going on inside of them. It is probably the servo in the motor-mount that is making all the racket. The only way to fix this would be to get new drives. Back around the launch of Windows XP Western Digital had some really loud hard drives that would whine and vibrate kinda what you are describing. Those drives ran fine just noisy, but i do understand the need for a quiet rig. My best advice is for you to buy a new hard drive and some external hdd enclosures and keep your noisy drives in them. At least they wouldnt be running except when you wanted them to.

OP
R

rommie

That does not sound good man. Usually drives that sound like that have a physical hardware issue going on inside of them. It is probably the servo in the motor-mount that is making all the racket. The only way to fix this would be to get new drives. Back around the launch of Windows XP Western Digital had some really loud hard drives that would whine and vibrate kinda what you are describing. Those drives ran fine just noisy, but i do understand the need for a quiet rig. My best advice is for you to buy a new hard drive and some external hdd enclosures and keep your noisy drives in them. At least they wouldnt be running except when you wanted them to.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but just as a test, I lifted up the front of the tower, and put a pillow underneath, so it's sort on a 15 degree angle from the floor - almost no humming, and the vibration is greatly reduced on the outside of the case - so I'm not sure if it's just a poorly designed case or not. Anyway, I have 2 identically sized pata's on hand, it's just a matter of getting an IDE controller...