• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H20 question on fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznboi64

I was looking around today at home depot and found there are really neat push-in fittings. And I did some research and found some companies that offer water cooling kits use the push-in fittings. Are these good alternatives to brass fittings? Are they reliable?

Iron Hawk

im not quite sure what you are talking about, post a link or put up a pic of one of these fittings so we can see what you are talking about.

KingB

Maxxpert Water Cooling Kit

Read this article that was posted today. They use the fittings I think aznboi64 was talking about. The review says they are pretty secure.

Edit: note that you have to use a special tubing that is a little stiffer. May cause some problems in tight spaces. I suppose thats what elbows are for.

Iron Hawk

my guess is that they will be reliable if the pressure in your system isnt too high. personaly i would prefer the older kind of fittings. ask yourself this: how often are you going to disconnect all of your stuff once it is together? is that worth the possable less secure fitting type?

Ploaf

I've used a similar style fitting up to 130psi although the one that I use is most like the fitting that you'll find on the Swiftech block and it is usually with a stiffer tubing. The only problem I've had after using a couple thousand of them was with the oring, that creates the seal, becoming deformed and that can cause leakage. With the softer tubing that is being used for most of these systems that may not be a problem and it's too soon to tell. It is also something that develops over an extended period of time and the orings are usually simple to replace.

As for releasing it. In the link above you will see the blue collet. The collet holds the tubing in place. When the tubing is in the fitting you can think of the collet as a button. Push in the button and you can pull the tubing out with little difficulty. They are very nice for quick connect/disconnect and it's easier to appreciate when you have to do it many times/day.