• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H50 on a xfx7870 core edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jscot123

Registered
After doing some reading on this site and other forums. I decided to water cool my xfx 7870 core edition after seeing my temps go to the middle 80's c mark. After looking at the AIO vga water coolers with their compatability, look, size, and cost I figured I could do better for less $$$. I went with the Corsair H50 ($50), Enzotech BCC9 ram sinks ($15), and my stock amd 6300 heatsink fan (free, surprised I didnt throw that thing away). Total cost $65.

First off here's my rig.
rmoo.jpg

This is my setup to start with.
20130503235607.jpg

I took my card apart. I wanted to retain my xfx cover since it matched my computers internals.( I already had my fan mounted when I decided to take the pic)
9nhs.jpg

Cleaned up my gpu with Arctic Clean remover and surface purifier. Partially put it back together to line things up.
u1zx.jpg

After lining things up I realized the heat spreader was in the way of me actually mounting the block itself. My warranty is almost up so I decided to mod it a hair. I needed it to put the cover back on the card.

Before.
f5e3.jpg

After.
ebnk.jpg

Since I was cutting it was when i decided to put the ramsinks on. I was going to leave it alone and just add the fan, but oh well. Here's the fan mounted in the chassis. It has a 1/4 gap in between the shroud to draw air and blows directly onto the card. I have it hooked up to my fan controller.
289q.jpg

I installed the ram sinks. These things are nice. Put direct pressure on for about 10 seconds. The thermal tape they use holds great.
9epd.jpg

Now I mounted the block with zip ties. I used a tiny little drop of Arctic Silver 5 on the gpu chip. I pulled them as tight as I could by hand diagonal from each other. Some advice. Use pliers and get that extra click. It hit 100c when i first tried it out.
q6rs.jpg

lcin.jpg

Almost done.
fnzv.jpg

The finished product. The fans are different. I hated those blue fans. They were left over from a previous computer. They look so tacky imo. Since I added that water cooler. It gave me chance to move some things around and get rid of those ugly blue fans.
40ns.jpg

My temps went up from upper 80's to upper 40's under load with the small overclock this card will do. Idle 32c. Stock clock temps are around 44c. With a single bios and no voltage control this card is very limited on overclocking. Stock 1000mhz chip/ 1200mhz ram. I can get it up to 1170/1350 stable.

Last edited:
Hard to verify in your pics, but me thinks the fan (6300) is not cooling the VRM's on your card. They are located under the "XFX" logo of the shroud near the back of the PCI slot. I would also remove the shroud so the ramsinks can get air. Great job otherwise :thup:

I modded a H80 on a 7870 . In post #14 you'll see my 120mm fan cooling the VRM's.

I added a side fan and took the plate off the side. It was getting pretty warm around 70c. The side fan keeps it cool. I ran a benchmark test and it gets to about 50c on that part of the card. Im going to keep the shroud for the other side.

8z0q.jpg

thanks for the advice.

No problem. Honestly you don't need the shroud, but from the pic the way you have your 120mm fan mounted, the air is directed towards the ramsinks and the VRMs. Good job!

My VRM temps reach close to 50c under Valley benchmarking, but under gaming don't reach 35c. More core idles @ 28c and load around 50c during heavy gaming. Clocks are 1150/1450 ;)

This is really cool, Corsair ought to make a custom bracket or some sort of fitting just for GFX cards for their CPU coolers. I doubt it would cost much for the end user or for the company itself...Then it becomes a problem what to call a CPU AIO system that can cool a GPU =P

I heard there was a guy on these forums that makes custom brackets for corsairs AIOs to fit in gpus

This is really cool, Corsair ought to make a custom bracket or some sort of fitting just for GFX cards for their CPU coolers. I doubt it would cost much for the end user or for the company itself...Then it becomes a problem what to call a CPU AIO system that can cool a GPU =P

There is a company making mounts so that you can use H kits on GPU's. I cant remeber who, but there was another user on here that bought them.

to OP.

Looks cool, i dont like the zip ties, doesnt seem like a solid solution, since they will get weak with time, from heating and cooling.

Back