• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hacked FaceBook account.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I got hacked. I got hacked good. The hacker installed 2FA when I didn't.

I've got to get it back. It's a tough road as FB does not make it easy. I was listening to NPR and they had a segment on it. Turns out that if you purchase an Occulis (SP?) Rift, you can get your account back in very little time. Then people just return the unopened Occulis. Otherwise, fill out form after form after form. Submit a copy of your ID but the system won't take it so you have to blot out the ID that is required but that the system won't take.

You guys know of a better way or any way (good or bad) that worked?

I deleted my FB account several years ago. That solved a few issues, particularly with having targeted ads chasing me around the internet.

Good thought but perhaps less than helpful. While I stopped using my personal account for most anything, I have my Union's account tied to it. The hacker did not force log out one of my machines and I have been able to post that it is under another person's control. Unfortunately, every path I take to get control back is blocked.

FB is too much about arguing or the distribution of alternate "facts" anyway.

I had an epiphany last night. Since I can still get into from one machine, I was able to see the email that the hacker uses to verify the account. I'll send an email from one of my yahoo accounts and see what they want to give it back. If it's something like $20, I'd be worth it. If it's like $100, it may be worth it to do all of the paperwork and hassle with FB. It's a cost analysis of the value of my time vs cash money. I'm not sure where the line will be drawn if at all. The hacker has to be willing to work with me and I have to be willing to trust a thief. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

The email address didn't work. Either I typed it wrong or it was never valid but I'd think it has to be valid. I'll try again later. I also had the thought to write to "myself" asking the current owner to email me for terms. We'll see if I can shortcut the whole process this way.

Heh...I'd have to bathe in bleach after even thinking about doing such a thing... no way. Feels so dirty giving in like that over a cost/time/benefit analysis. :sly: :chair:

I get it but to say that my time is worth $0 de-values me. My time is worth something. I can spend months fighting with FB to prove that I am me. Or wait months to get an Occulus Rift on back order to then have FB fix the issue immediately and return the Rift, or I can try to work with the current "owner" to see if I can work out a deal.

The current owner may or may not be the hacker but if it is not the hacker, then it's someone who bought my account from said hacker. The hacker seems to have been from Thiland. The current owner seems to be from Utah. There are a lot of "if's" going on there. *IF* I can engage the current owner and *IF* I can strike a deal.... It's worth trying.

What have you done so far with FB? Seems like you watched a scary video on the internet but, have you started the process? I mean, might as well multi-thread... at least if 'giving in to terrorism' (lol) doesn't work, you've started down the long path of recovery. ;)

GL and keep us posted! :)

I haven't done much of anything for a bit. Work and storms have taken up time, power and internet at different times. I'll get to it when I can and I will let you guys know.

I can't imagine anyone paying anything to salvage a hacked Facebook account.

I would ask the hacker to delete it!

The hacker never responded. No dice there. FB is also not providing any help. Every avenue I take brings me back to a page that allows me to notify the hacker that I'm trying to gain entry.

I don't know how to reach FB to request help. I'm going to have to buy a FB item then call for service.

I'll send an email from one of my yahoo accounts and see what they want to give it back. If it's something like $20, I'd be worth it. If it's like $100, it may be worth it to do all of the paperwork and hassle with FB.
ThatÂ’s the absolute last thing to do. Do not incentivize them.

Your information is gone if not copied if thatÂ’s what they really wanted.

Your opinions are valid but less than helpful. Thanks guys.

Back