• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hacking/Cracking bet with a friend... need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

:edit: ... update... go to page3 :/edit:

Ok... before everyone jumps on me, let me explain this....

This is a bet with a kid at school who is the "know it all type" who doesn't know crap. That's what i think anyway. He said he could hack, so I told him I'd give him $20 if he could put a text file on my desktop saying that he had accessed my computer. I GAVE him permission to do this, with the witness of the teacher, but only that one thing. I told him that if he accessed any other files, or destroyed anything, that I would call the police on him. He has untill the end of school to do this (3 weeks). Another part of the deal is that if he actually does succede, then I have 3 days to get him back. If i do, then I don't have to pay him.

I need some help in the basics of connecting to remote computers, etc. I understand that hacking is illegal, but i only want to know this stuff to better understand my network, and how the interent works. It is true, that i would use this knowledge in retaliation to him, but only because he agreed to it, and i would not be desctructive.

First we'll start off on how I can protect myself. He DOES NOT know my IP address. He said he had a method of finding me.. so lets assume he finds my IP address.
I have cable interent, blocked by a Linksys router. My computer's ip is static, and the router's ip is dynamic. I have set DMZ port forwarding to my computer so I can play WC3 games. I know that this makes the ports open to my computer. I have no firewalls. I have enabled file sharing of "My shared folder" and my CD drive. I am running windows xp pro with virtually no updates. HOPEFULLY HE DOESN'T BROWSE THIS FORUM :d.
What are some possible ways he could go about getting by all this?

Ok now for my learing....

first off, how would i go about connecting to another computer on my network if I knew the IP address, and the other computer would not have any firewalls, or routers blocking it. Is there a way to access the computer? (besides the obvious windows file sharing)

This is just my first question... and they will probably/hopefully get more complex as i learn more.

If a mod feels that this is out of line, please delete the thread, however I would just like to learn more about my network.

Last edited:

Kendan

Senior Punk
1. Get your rig off the DMZ.
2. When you play Warcraft forward the ports instead of using DMZ.
3. Do not ask how to crack here.
4. You can ask how to protect yourself.
5. Start researching security:D

Good luck and have fun:D

p.s. If you leave your rig on the DMZ you might as well go ahead and give him the $20;)

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
FunkDaMonkMan said:
I need some help in the basics of connecting to remote computers, etc. I understand that hacking is illegal, but i only want to know this stuff to better understand my network, and how the interent works. It is true, that i would use this knowledge in retaliation to him, but only because he agreed to it, and i would not be desctructive.
Don't ask for "how to hack" here. You'll have to find that elsewhere.

The best protection is to turn off & unplug your computer. Also, disable DMZ until you are actually playing WC3. (or find the acutal ports that it uses). Disable File & Printer sharing completely (uninstall it from your network connection properties). If you are running NTFS, go into your desktop, and remove all permissions, then add your username as read-only. Install ZoneAlarm and a Virus scanner. That should keep you protected, unless he physically logs in at the console.

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

ok I didn't really mean cracking then... could a mod possibly take that out of the title.

Thanks for the tips guys...

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
i think that we can only aid you in defense

i dont think the mods will allow an open conversation of offense

however im sure you could do some reasearch and some pming

personly to win the bet i would simply put up the best defense i could and then wait him out

things i would do

turn the computer off when not in uses ( cant hack it if its not on)
get zonealarm

set your routers firewall up ( if it has one)

make sure your virus scan is up todate and scan at least once a day for trojans

Crash893

also if you do a search i think there is a little thing on how the NSA secures there comptuers

you might want to read threw that

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

i wish i could learn about some basic connection methods, just for personal use (not attacking), but i see how that could get out of hand, so we'll just stick with the defensive procedures.

Right now i'm installing zone alarm, and I already disabled DMZ.

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
So for a sure way to win the bet, can't you just leave the computer off very often, therefore he can't get anything?

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

yes, my computer is off when i'm not using it anyway.

I'm 99% sure i'm goin to win. This kid is mostly just all talk.

I can't imagine he could get my ip address anyway.

Kendan

Senior Punk
I would also change the default password in your router.
Do not let him in your house. (make sure your mom knows not to let him in). Social engineering is a part of it.
Make sure to make it part of the agreement that if he does it he has to show you how he did it;)
and listen to SU Root;)

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

yes, that is part of the deal... he has to show me... and yes i will change the default password...

Crash893

yea

i forgot about that

lock your doors and windows

can two cable modems talk to eachother?

is there a way for the kid to sever his cable in the night patch in there then it would be like a direct link to

does that even make sense

make sure as many people know about the bet as possible

usualy s talkers try to back out of there bets

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

he wouldn't go to that extreme (cutting cables).... You guys are forgetting that this kid is a little freshman that probably doesn't know much about computers.

Titan386

Well, if you want to ensure you win (sounds like you're going to anyway) and don't care too much about the use of your computer, install OpenBSD. They say they've only have 1 remote security hole, not bad :)

On a less extreme note, I would just disable port fowarding on your router. Chances are, this friend of yours isn't as knowledgable as he says he is. A router that is disallowing inbound conceptions should frusterate most attempts at exploiting bugs and such. Be careful not to download potentially trojan-infested files though.

Last edited:

Kendan

Senior Punk
Titan386 said:
Be careful not to download potentially trojan-infested files though.

Great point. Install a software firewall just in case he gets a trojan in your rig. DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAIL FROM HIM, set a rule to send it to the trash!!!! (not even in the preview window in outlook.) You might want to switch to a more secure email client as well if you are using outlook . Do not run any program he gives you or even put it in your computer for that matter!.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
I was talking to one tech at a cable ISP a while back, he told me that if he knew which house someone lived in, he could find out the IP with very little difficulty (the MAC addy of the modem rental is bound to the rentee's name and address in their database.. with sufficient access, even knowing your last name could get him the IP.)

Turn off your cable modem when your not doing anything online.

I would be amazed if someone managed to get through a router, zone alarm, a virus checker, to a computer with no file sharing.

Also-- change all your passwords AND don't use the same passwords that you use at school. If you want to go a little further, rename your accounts, including the Administrator account, and if applicable, the "yourname" account (if you created an account with the username being your name). Disable the Guest account, and any accounts you aren't using.

JohnnyTheRed

*Slight Thread Hijack*

What is the password for the default "Administrator" account? When installing XP Pro, I don't remember setting up such an account, so I assume it comes setup automatically, adn with a default password too.

- Thanks

*And sorry for the hijack*