• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hairdryer fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daedlus

Does anyone here have experience using the fans from hairdryers? I was checking out some of the heatsink reviews, and read through one of the case cooling articles, and I thought "hairdryer fan". Those things push a huge amount of air, and aren't any louder thand my free standing room fan.

I guess that I would have to do some voltage mods and stuff, but ducting the suck part so that it doesn't sit right at the opening, and then point the bugger right at the hottest point in the case (CPU).

Any suggestions / experience?

Daedlus (May 22, 2001 11:39 a.m.):
Does anyone here have experience using the fans from hairdryers? I was checking out some of the heatsink reviews, and read through one of the case cooling articles, and I thought "hairdryer fan". Those things push a huge amount of air, and aren't any louder thand my free standing room fan.

I guess that I would have to do some voltage mods and stuff, but ducting the suck part so that it doesn't sit right at the opening, and then point the bugger right at the hottest point in the case (CPU).

Any suggestions / experience?

Actually, doesn't Overclockers.com have rather extensive information on this? I believe they (you?) are now using a hair dryer fan to test heat sinks. Two points they make: the fans is not designed for extended use, and it is much louder than even the silliest Delta. But it useful for testing heatsinks, to detirmine their heat saturation point.
Ed

yeah, i think they do, but of course it would be very loud, even worse than a delta, and it would suck power. It really is just useful to test the limit of the heatsink, really good to use to test its overall design.

Back