• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hairline black mark on edge of DVD after burning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
These are quality Taiyo Yuden DVD blanks. I get a hairline black mark after burning them and it's near the very edge every time.

What could be causing this?
What do you use to verify that all data was stored correctly on a burned DVD?

Burner used was Pioneer DVR-112D

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Attachments

• DVDhairlineMarks.JPG
    DVDhairlineMarks.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 242
  • DiscQ2.jpg
    DiscQ2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 224
  • DiscQ1.jpg
    DiscQ1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
That's taking burning a bit too literally. I've never seen anything like that :shrug:

Whenever I burn something since I do it so rarely I always choose to verify the data. I think that just reads back the disc and compares it to the source material.

That's taking burning a bit too literally. I've never seen anything like that :shrug:

Whenever I burn something since I do it so rarely I always choose to verify the data. I think that just reads back the disc and compares it to the source material.

i agree this is the best way. its a check box option in nero. if u r using other software look around for it or find other software to use temporarily.

Is your DVD tray dirty? Laser does not go out that far.

Is 70k errors normal for a burned disk? (DOH: I am a doof just reread the screens. not 70k errors lol)

Last edited:
Could it be a heat issue.??... I know that when ever I burn a disk it is always warm afterwords..

But if the disk works I would not streess it to much....

I've noticed a slightly different color near the edge of my discs, but it's usually just a darker purple (as opposed to the lighter purple where the data is written). I have the value-line Taiyo Yudens.

My theory was that the whole disc was 1 color before burning, but after burning the area where the data was written is a slightly different color. The edge retains the original color since data doesn't get written that far out. It's kind of a buffer zone and more susceptible to errors and thus isn't used unless you use software to overburn the disc. Can you compare a burned disc to a blank disc?

I was wrong...

I just looked at my discs; burned vs. unburned. They both have that dark line around the edge. I can see where the burn stops, but that is a separate color differentiation. If I had a camera atm, I'd show ya.

Wait...are you talking about the dark border or that little scratch-looking thing; looks kinda like a question mark in your pic?

Yes, the hairline black question mark looking thing.

That disk looks filthy. did you just pull that out of your spindle and into the drive and take a pic after? it looks just a little worn to me. its not on the burnt part of the disk so i dont think its an issue.

I believe I have resolved the problem after switching back to an older drive. The value line Taiyo Yudens have tiny scratches on them which are exposed after the laser goes over the surface.

How can you tell fake TY from real ones?

It's cartoons for my kid captured from TV.

Discs are TYG02 with code GG000267 so they appear to be genuine Taiyo Yudens with little scratches on them that got on them somehow :shrug:

Back