• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hal.dll is missing or corrupt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

I know you should copy this file from the windows cd to your system when you get this message. Problem is, does anyone know the command to do this? I'm not sure which folder to extract from cd/copy to system.

This is on my g/f's computer. :(

flyingember

Registered
easiest solution?

overright the install with an upgrade install. leaves personal settings and files in place

repo man11

This looks like it has the necessary steps.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
HAL.DLL is Missing

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

OP
jlin453

jlin453

flyingember said:
easiest solution?

overright the install with an upgrade install. leaves personal settings and files in place

Hm...didnt think of this. So EVERYTHING is left the same? Upon bootup, will I be asked to choose a particular setup?(past experiences)

I'll try repo's link. It looks good.

Thanks guys!