• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hammer official name released. Athlon 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

Kato said:
Gonna release them in first half of 2003 eh?
I guess we can get these in next Xmas:D

Bummer I thought it would be a good gift too :(

o well :cool: birthday :p

OP
Emericana

Emericana

me too i will call it Hammer forever just like i call Athlon Xp's palominos or tbreds depending on which type it is

OC-Master

Mr B said:

Shhhhh! Next thing you know...intel will name the Pentium V "Genesis", to compete against the A-64... :p

Rename the Itanium3 to Genesis-64 ;)

Then we can read about benchmark comparsions between the Genesis-64 and Athlon-64. 1997 all over again :)

OC-Master

The Coolest

Yup the CPU (ClawHammer/Athlon 64 :p) is a 64bit CPU, it will also support 32bit applications in hardware which means you still can use all your 32bit software on it, till you're ready to upgrade to 64bit OS and software

The Coolest

I believe its faster and has more capabilities in terms of programming will becomes easier due to CPUs native support of 64 bits, like while in 32bit you had to store a value in 2 32bit registers, when when running a 64bit CPU, same value will be stored in one register only, it will speed up things noticably over the current 32bit platform

DaveSauce

/me wants a clawhammer NOW!!!

I dont care how much they cost....heh, within the next 8 months, I'm going to be dropping about $1000 on a shiny new processor, shiny new mobo, and a shiny new nv30.....damn nvidia and AMD gotta time things differently! I dont have that kind of cash! Damn them!

NookieN

The Coolest said:
I believe its faster and has more capabilities in terms of programming will becomes easier due to CPUs native support of 64 bits, like while in 32bit you had to store a value in 2 32bit registers, when when running a 64bit CPU, same value will be stored in one register only, it will speed up things noticably over the current 32bit platform

64-bits really won't make anything faster. It's true that you can represent a bigger number in a 64-bit register, but that only helps if you need a bigger number. For floating point you do, but most cpus since the 386 have had 64-bit FP (and the P4 can do 128-bit operations). But using 2 32-bit registers means you have two numbers and with an SIMD instruction you can use them both at once.

The only real advantage 64-bit has over 32 is memory address space. 32-bit can only address 4GB, while 64-bit can address up to 64 hexabytes (mega-terabytes). Of course the Hammer isn't a true 64-bit chip in this respect; it can only address 40-bits (or 1 terabyte), which should be plenty for a while.

quegyboe

Looks like AMD really wants to keep the Athlon name huh? Still, Athlon 64 sounds alot better than "GeForce FX" **shutter**