• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard-disc stripping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo Demi

just wondering if anyones ever heard of a technique for wiping harddiscs with a 5volt supply, i heard a rumour that the major companies that fix the discs dont use software, but most of the time hook them up to a supply and blast them. just wondering if its true and how i would go about it coz ive got numerous discs that have different problems. any information would be appreciated.

moorcito

I would think that would just cause more problems. Since they say that power surges damages hard drives, though a low volt like 5volt might do something.

If you want a laught, check out what 110volt will do to hardware. My work just changed its firewall settings, so I can't see the page anymore, but there is some funny stuff on there.
http://www.fiftythree.org/etherkiller/

The Revelation

Registered
I've never heard of it. If you want to completely erase a drive, do one of those DoD reformats. It's like a 7x re-write over the drive, and a format, or something.

I don't see how shocking the drive would do anything to clean it, though.

OP
N

Neo Demi

do you have a guide for doing a DoD format, i think that would wipe anything on my screwed up drives.