• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive acting up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

When I turn on the computer, right before the windows graphics appears, there is a bit of a lag(that wasn't tehre before).

I can hear the harddrive. It's like it's trying to start up,then stops. Starts up, then stops. After a couple of seconds, windows loads up like usual. What causes this little delay?

My KT333 Soyo mb doesn't have the 1/5 divider, but my fsb's aren't high enough(150) where it should be bothering my other hardware.

Btw, the hdd is brand new. I know this has nothing to do w/the problem, but think i'm going to add one of those hard drive coolers(even if the hdd temps aren't that high)..

beezee

have you been overclocking lately? It could very well be corrupt files within the MBR? So the delay wasn't there before? Or was it there before but now it's longer?

stool

In the Storage Forum, the Hard Drive Diagnostics sticky contains a link to "Seatools", Seagate's diagnostic software. DL and run it to see if the HD has a problem.

OP
jlin453

jlin453

stool said:
In the Storage Forum, the Hard Drive Diagnostics sticky contains a link to "Seatools", Seagate's diagnostic software. DL and run it to see if the HD has a problem.

Thanks.

I ran the online browser and it found no errors. I tried running the .exe and saving it to a floppy disk, but when I rebooted, the disk couldn't be read.

ninthebin

I find that whenever I install XP that that little loading bar does fly through until about 3-4 boots later when I have started reinstallign alot more stuff....then it seems to lag abit...maybe its building its registry structure or something - so its taking a little bit longer to start due to more being on, but I generally dont think it a problem

nut581

i had the same problem when I overclocked my DDR-RAM a bit high (Mushkin PC2700 revised on MSI KT3 Ultra). The drive was Maxtor diamondmax 27.6GB 5400 rpm.

Try lowering your mem setting a bit, it worked for me :)