• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive benchmark lower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

When I first got my maxtor 40 gig 7200 rpm harddrive it bechmarked at 24000 (4 months ago) with sandra. Now it benches at 19000, anyone know why.

tried defragging and chkdsk? Doing these regularly will speed up your disk. Also- Sandra is NOT very reliable at benching harddrives. Your score will change depending on how much data you have on that drive, what filesystem and what size the datum are. Which makes no sense- your drive doesn't get weighed down by more data or anything :D Sandy seems designed more as a bench of your filesystem as a whole. Like- if you compared two exactly identical drives, but one had a slightly larger capacity, the larger drive would have a higher score. This is sorta true, as densities increase so does read speed, but not to the extent Sandra says.

If you want something more accurate, more of a test just of the drive itself, try a search for ATTO Disk Bench.

Monster of Rock said:
tried defragging and chkdsk? Doing these regularly will speed up your disk. Also- Sandra is NOT very reliable at benching harddrives. Your score will change depending on how much data you have on that drive, what filesystem and what size the datum are. Which makes no sense- your drive doesn't get weighed down by more data or anything :D Sandy seems designed more as a bench of your filesystem as a whole. Like- if you compared two exactly identical drives, but one had a slightly larger capacity, the larger drive would have a higher score. This is sorta true, as densities increase so does read speed, but not to the extent Sandra says.

If you want something more accurate, more of a test just of the drive itself, try a search for ATTO Disk Bench.

Ok, so for example my WD 40gig w/ 8MB cache gets a crappy score of 19000, but its 98% full...would that explain why it benchies so bad? Seems like it should be a good deal higher

yah, that's what I'd assume. Sandra's HD benchies are just plain whack, they don't make sense.

For example- my half-empty Maxtor 40GB HD with the measly 2MB cache gets 23000, and I should be getting owned by your much faster drive. Only reason I can see is that my drive is half full, while yours is almost totally full.

The HD and CPU cache tests Sandra has are the ones I do not trust. Scores with those are really only comparable to the system they were run on, not across diferent boxes. IMHO, of course :D

Back