• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive conundrum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

I bought a new ssd online and via an external usb drive loaded it onto the new computer i'm building... I have another hard drive on this computer already as the boot drive so I boot into windows whereupon I attempt to initialize the new ssd as it's not recognized. The computer refuses to initialize the drive, whatever I do, whatever program I use. I try every trick I know. But nada.

So, I load the drive via the aforementioned external usb connection onto my main computer and manage to initialize and format it. Easy peazy. BTW, both computers are running win 10 v1809. In fact both computers have the same motherboard and cpu.

So then, I connect the new ssd drive back onto the new computer and clone the hdd image onto the new ssd drive, make the ssd primary, change the boot order in the BIOS and all is fine. It now boots on the new computer. Runs fine. fast. I open my program of Hard Disk Sentinel and right off the bat, it reports 8000 bad sectors on the new ssd... OMG So I write to the company where I purchased it telling them it is defective.

They send me out a new one... On receiving the new one the first thing I do is connect it via usb to my main computer, initialize it, format it, etc. and all is good. Check with the Hard Disk Sentinel program on my main computer and looks perfect. Just to check, I connect it up to the newly built computer via usb external drive and once again, this new drive is checked by hard disk sentinel to have 8000 bad sectors. Weird.

Crystal Disk Info checks them both out as good on the new computer, nothing about bad sectors

Anyone able to wade thru my long-winded explication and explain to me what may be happening?

I could be wrong but I don't think flash storage uses sectors. The recording media is organized in an entirely different way than a platter-based hard drive.

I use CrystalDiskInfo all the time and have found it to be very reliable.

I could be wrong but I don't think flash storage uses sectors. The recording media is organized in an entirely different way than a platter-based hard drive.

Yup. Chips vs. disks. However the interface an SSD presents to the OS via SATA looks pretty much like an HDD. Otherwise the OS disk management layer would have to be entirely rewritten to handle it. For that matter, modern HDDs don't present the exact internal model of the storage through SATA. They just present a simplified model of the storage and manage the real geometry, whether it be chips, RAM, tracks on a disk and even overlapped tracks on a disk (SMR recording.) Disk utilities will still report information in sectors.

As to the original issue, I'd want to get to the bottom of that. I'd verify matching BIOS versions and as long as there seem to be matching H/W available, I'd swap out parts to determine what is causing the problem. I think the OP did some of that but I couldn't follow exactly what was tried. I'd try swapping cables and SATA ports too. I'd also be cautious of USB connectors. I've run into trouble with those (8TB Seagate External <-> USB2/USBC adapter <-> USB# C port => No good.)

Issue resolved. On my main computer I was using Hard Disk Sentinel v.5.30 and on the new one Hard Drive Sentinel v.5.16. Evidently this brand of SSD, Dierya, (I kid you not) does not work and play well with an older version. Once new version installed, all is good. It's a 120gb ssd that makes the computer fly, really, boot time is a few seconds. I have never seen boot time so fast. It was $18 (with some clipped coupon) on Amazon... Really made me think for a while about gremlins.

Back