• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive crapping out at high fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X2sandman

Last night i was bored so i was seeing how fast i could get the rig in my sig to run. I booted up at 190x10.5 no problem but then when i got into windows it said some files had been deleted. I was also and am still missing the .exe for sandra, and wincpuid, and various other progrgams. I was wondering if the Hard drive was crapping out since it was out of spec. I had heard the barracuda IV drives could run in the mid forty bus range, but i don't know. Might it also be that it is getting some interferance from my pump which is about 1' away?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I would say most certainly so. I'm surprised, with that many files being corrupted, you got into Windows at all.

Well, tricky thing about that is you can't be sure if it's actually the drive or not...it could be the IDE controller that can't handle it. If it were fine before with different drives installed then that would eliminate that thought, but if not, you can't ever be sure.

I have 2x 40 GB WD 7200 rpm 2 mg Hd's & shuttle KT333 mobo

I tried to up fsb pass 166 and the os got corrupted & it could boot into xp a few times after upping fsb 1 at the time BUT after 6 tries the fun was over and it would not boot into xp & i had to reload xp again.

my other rig with 2x 120 GB WD J 8 mb cache Abit AT7 Max2 KT400 2400 when i set fsb above 166 i get blue screen but it will still reboot into xp...with this rig I did not test it any further because I dont feel like reloading xp again:)

so i believe hd's gets coruppted pass a certain fsb setting...no matter if 2 or 8 mb cache

Back