• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rashly

i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put heatsinks on the chips on a harddrive. harddrives today can operate very hot, and i was wondering if it would be worth putting a few small heatsinks on the few chips that are on the harddrive.

and also, would this be a safe mod to make? i would put another fan on there, but im trying to keep it as quiet as possible, and i have descent air flow.

thank you.

I don't think that it would do much. Just as long as you have a fan blowing on it it should be fine. It's not the chips that get really hot its the spindle speed of the drive. I just modified my hard drive cage and put a fan on the bottom to help cool my hard drives down.

Just my 2 cents.

Daniel

I have heard that putting a heatsink (486 type) on the larger chips can help, but your main problem is spindle heat. I dont know if you could rig a heatsink to the hd motor?

Back