• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

In my main rig, I am using 800JBs as my system hard drives. However, when I raise the fsb above 155, the system crashes regularly. Me and my old system with no PCI locks:( I heard somewhere Western Digital drives are not stable above 155 fsb. Can anyone confirm/deny this and reccomend some drives that can handle higher PCI bus speeds?

Here are my system specs:dual p3 733 @852, 2x 256 MB crucial pc2700, MS-9105, MSI gf3 ti200, tx4 w/ 2 800jb in seperate stripes, sb live value, rt8139

Th0r

No, i think you have gone the highest you have gone, It highly not recommended to take that FSB to high because it causes Data Corruption with all Hard Drives anyway..

If someone can prove me wrong and do recommend him new Hard Drives then please say so...

wquiles

I am also having some HW problems in my K7D Mater (AMD Dually) when I went from the max. default FSB of 133 (jumper setting of either 100 or 133) to 150Mhz (max setting bia BIOS once jumper is set to 133).

The PCI buss is not locked on my MB so when I raised the FSB to 150Mhz the PCI bus goes up to 38-39MHz (can't recall exactly) - when I star two intances of Prime95 (at piority 10) my system (Win2K) crashes within 5-10 minutes, iregardless of the Vcore used.

I went slightly down from 150Mhz to 144 (the next step down allowed in the BIOS, which results in PCI bus of 36-37Mhz - can't recall exactly) and I now have regained Prime95 stability (4 and 1/2 hours so far - no crashes/errors) so it looks like that is the limit for my current hardware.

My guess is that you are hitting a similar "limit" with your own particular hardware combo - just stay a little bit lower since it is not worth having a faster speed if you crash :)

William

repo man11

disk11, Welcome to the forums!

In my experience, WD drives have been very tolerant of out of spec PCI speeds. I have a 60 and a 120 megabyte WD's working fine in my machine right now at 42 MHz PCI. They gave me no problems at 43, but my CDRW had problems at that speed.

Memory may be the problem. To try and sort it out, I would slow the memory timings, and bump up the voltage if possible.

OP
disk11

disk11

Thanks for the welcome repo.

I have a hard time believeing the memory is the problem here. Crucial pc2700 sticks overclock very well from what I hear and the fact that I'm still under spec that I could get away with tighter timings. I'll look into it though.

Unforutunatly for me, my board has no voltage adjustment in the BIOS. And due to the fact my board doesn't really exist on the MSI site anymore (I can only find 3 referances to it), there are no BIOSs on their site. I am running the 1.20 BIOS and I saw there was a 1.31 available, but I can't find it anywhere. If someone could point me to a newer offical BIOS or a site with wire wrap mods for P3s that would be great.

Also, could it be the fact I'm running the hard drives off a RAID card and not the onboard IDE? I really didn't want to run them both off the same channel, and I don't have a long enough cable to hook up my DVD-ROM drive and 1 hard drive in my Chieftech Dragon case.

repo man11

RAID vs IDE, different chipsets, BIOS, drivers, all of these variables could play a part in why you aren't getting any higher speeds.

I have a fortunate combination of parts that has allowed me to get the most out of my 8K3A with its KT333 chipset. Some drives, controllers etc. will have difficulties at 38 MHz, much less anything higher.

The ability to bump up memory voltage can work wonders at times.

The popularity of Nforce chipsets has led to many people having mistaken impressions about out of spec PCI speeds though. I wanted to let you know that you can sometimes sucessfully go quite a ways out of spec, and still have everything work fine.

Juiblex79

Registered
Usually the first thing to give you errors when you overclock the FSB is not the Hard Drives. I have two of those 800JB's in my current system and I know they work for me up to 150 MHz FSB I just used 144 MHz for stability. This is the order of most likely problem causers in FSB overclocking.
1. CPU
2. RAM
3. AGP-Video
4. SCSI Cards
5. All other devices PCI, IDE, and what not.

Let’s assume your CPU is not the culprit for the moment. RAM is next your memory is probably at a 2xFBS multi so at 155 its 310 which is really out of spec for 266 MHz rated PC2700. I would suggest getting some PC3200 Ram (would let you go up to 166 if all other devices can handle it), I got some Samsung ram that’s really sweet see my sig for the timings. Was about $90US each for 1GB (2x512). I doubt its anything else giving you trouble Video cards only run into problems at 166+ and you don’t have any SCSI devices.

As for wquiles issues, if you are crashing running Prime its your CPU that has hit the limit and is giving you errors since Prime only uses the CPU not any AGP, PCI or IDE devices. Assuming you have memory that’s rated for that high FSB speed.

wquiles

Juiblex79,

When I ran the system during the burn-in phase both of my two Athlons ran at 150Mhz with no problems for several hours even while running two instances of Prime 95 at priority 10, although this was only with one HD (Maxtor), the Video card, and the DVD Burner. The system crash happens only after I added the RAID 0, the CD burner, and the FireWire card. My memory is Mushkin DDR 3500 Level II so it is not even working hard yet :)

My current guess is that the full load on the PCI buss is what's causing instability when I go past 144 MHz (which is so far very stable).

William

FlailBoy

I've got 3 wd800jbs (two running in my sig right [email protected]). Spent some time nudging up my first O/C so I was lingering around 150-155 for a little while, too. Third one in another comp [email protected]. Haven't had any problems at any speed.

Was also running crucial pc2700 in this rig stable to 176 @2.7v. Not a huge O/C, but yours should have a little headroom above 166.

which is really out of spec for 266 MHz rated PC2700

Wouldn't pc2700 be rated at 333?

OP
disk11

disk11

My memory is not out of spec. It's rated for 166 and I'm stuck @ 155 for the moment. Due to this, I don't see why this warrants a vdimm bump.

I'll remove the RAID card after my [email protected] WU gets finished and play around with it.

FlailBoy

My memory is not out of spec. It's rated for 166 and I'm stuck @ 155 for the moment. Due to this, I don't see why this warrants a vdimm bump.

You're right-it shouldn't need it.

FYI, my Crucial pc2700 was fine up to ~171 at stock volts.

EDIT:

Kind of obvious; but you could run one stick at a time to see if you've got a bad module. Was experiencing similar problems w/my stick for my 2nd rig even at 133 and Crucial was great about the RMA. Fixed the problem.

Last edited:

Juiblex79

Registered
It’s probably not your memory giving you issues if the system works fine before you plug all the other devices in. I would suggest taking everything out and trying one device at a time and see which gives you problems at the high FSB. If no one device gives you any problems then you might be loading your PS, even though it’s a good 550, too much. If the PS is at fault then you might want to try running a smaller PS to just power the drives and keep the 550 for everything else if you have space in your case.

shadowdr

Most likely it is your rad card running out.Raid 0 must be more stable than single drive configuration because the controller or cpu is divideng the data in half for writes on each drive.At spec this is done really quickly and any error is of coarse multiplied x 2.I can run my rig at 220 fsb with a single drive however raid has kept me from passing 200.It is still faster in heavy read write apps.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I would play with the RAM a little first - I've experienced hard drive corruption myself because of RAM. Raise your tRAS value from 5 or whatever it's at to 6 or more, and see if that fixes it. When it's set too low, the memory may try a new operation before the previous one is finished, resulting in incomplete reads and data corruption.

OP
disk11

disk11

The only RAM timing I can adjust is the CAS latency:( I should have held out for a Iwill DVD266u-RN.

OP
disk11

disk11

Finally got the RAID card out, but I locked up right after logging into Windows @ 155:( It's fine at 145 right now, and I'm about to try 150. This is not looking good to get a better overclock out of this system.

Orginally posted by Juiblex79
If no one device gives you any problems then you might be loading your PS, even though it’s a good 550, too much. If the PS is at fault then you might want to try running a smaller PS to just power the drives and keep the 550 for everything else if you have space in your case.

I only have a 430W since P3s require so little power. But how would I use a second power supply to run hard drives, etc.?

wquiles

Folks in the SMP group run AMD dually's with Fortrons 350W supplies :)

I would say that assuming your 430W PS is a good name brand, then NO, you should not need anything bigger nor a separate PS for the HD's.

OP
disk11

disk11

Here's the deal:
150: Stable in Max Payne 1 and sandra burn-in running only the hard drive bench
153: Stable, same as above
155: Stable, same as above
157: Crashed after 1 SANDRA pass
155: Config initialization failed BSOD right when you hit f8 to go into safe mode, etc
150: Same BSOD
145: Same BSOD
133: Same BSOD
Fail safe defaults: gets to splash screen, same BSOD

This sucks:( Hopefully the drive is fine, and will make sure after I watch a movie. Any thoughts?

PoX Freak

looks like corruption occured at board level on the HD.
I never knew a WD to handle out-of spec clocks for long (experienced WD HD roaster here).
Go ahead and consider that one a gonner, unless it still works as an ide drive, then the controller card is gone.
Good luck in finding the problem.

OP
disk11

disk11

I already pulled the RAID card out to see if using the onboard IDE would let me overclock higher.

The windows directory was so corrupted that setup wouldn't let me repair it. I am up and running now at stock speeds with all the same hardware. So now I'm stuck at 155 still:/