• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive problem im having

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconcept

I am having a problem with my maxtor 5T040H4, 40 gb 7200 rpm drive.

Recently I had opened up my comp just to sort some wires around when I booted up, the hd wasnt detected, I quickly found the problem was the power input, the molex connector wasnt i guess connecting to all pins and it wasnt starting, i tried a different molex same thing, ok so eay right I just have to fins a way to prop the moxel in there snugly so it connects, i fold a little piece of paper and use it as a wedge on the bottom side of the molex so it fits in. Perfect it turns on everytime now.

However before i found the paper fix and I could get it on by kind of tapping the moxel in the right way before i turned it on, i could get it to start buy while running id hear the click sound and then the hds spinning down, so the hds were turning off while the comp was running and like 2 secs later any vibrations would sometimes start it up.

Now the problem Im having is that the drive seems to be working really slow. When playing tracks in winamp on my other drive which is working fine, i can play them fine and skim thru the tracks, and scroll in explorer through my tracks.

On the drive that was acting up when music is playing from that drive if i scroll the music crackles, and if im skim thru music it breaks up and crackles. And when going thru folders its not as quick.

Anyone know what could be causing this? What would be my best way of troubleshooting this

elBogg

i'm sorry i don't know a troubleshooting technique for ya, but with the constant power loss it mighta corrupted the files on it . . .

OP
subconcept

subconcept

The files still work fine, is there any way i can find out of their corrupted or would they just not work if that was the case?

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Kiriakos said:
Just start making plans for one new PSU , this will solve all your problems .

No "guarantee" there, but that would be my suggestion also. It's either a power issue or a drive issue.

OP
subconcept

subconcept

Sound good ill get the program and run that.

It dosnt click while it runs, i was just saying i know the hd has turned off when i hear it, same sound you hear when you pwer down and your hds turn off.

OP
subconcept

subconcept

I backed up my files, and formated, still slow, and I also ran power max and it said its been ceritified error free after the test so nothign wrong with the disk, the other hd on the same cable is running great. What kind of things could be bringing down the speed of the hd?

I switched ide cables same thing.

OP
subconcept

subconcept

Ok I dont know if this is the problem, My Mast hd is on Ultra DMA Mode 5, and the mp3 drive (the one that seems to be going slow) is on PIO mode, im guessing PIO is slower?

How could I change this? Should I see if a format helps?

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
subconcept said:
Ok I dont know if this is the problem, My Mast hd is on Ultra DMA Mode 5, and the mp3 drive (the one that seems to be going slow) is on PIO mode, im guessing PIO is slower?

How could I change this? Should I see if a format helps?

What OS? How is it detected in your BIOS? Assuming you are using an 80pin cable also, right?

FTC

You should go to device manager (i.e, for W2K cotrol panel->system->hardware->devicemanager), and then in the appropriate IDE controller properties, just set 'DMA if available'. I suppose under XP it's a bit different though... but this may give you a hint.

If, after doing this the drive is still in PIO mode, then it's most likely because (and supposing your drive is newer than 10 years, so it supports DMA) there are too many transmission errors (CRCs) or similar, and the drive has 'throtteled down'.

This could also be an effect of the past (i.e the throttling down happened before but and since WIN2K has 'memory' it won't let it go faster now). If this is the case then I would erase your ATAPI controller 'device' (by going to device manager and erasing the device, NOT the driver) and let WINXP reinstall it after a reboot...

Regards
FTC

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
subconcept said:
Big thanks to FTC, that fixed it removing the ide controller and rebooting. Working good as new!

Good! I was planning on walking you through step by step once I knew the OS.

Big difference between udma5 & PIO, isn't there!