• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard freezes after 30-40 minutes of any type of use.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ktownhero

Registered
A few days ago, I began experiencing what seemed to be random hard freezes. At first, I noticed it when my monitor would go to sleep and the computer would never wake up, requiring a manual power down and reboot. Then it started having issues after playing Guild Wars 2 for 30-40 minutes.

Naturally, at first, I thought it was my GPU... but it isn't. I've troubleshooted this thing to high hell for 2 days now, and I'm down to just the issue being the CPU or motherboard. Let me list my specs and what I did to troubleshoot so far.

***Please note, I am not trying to troubleshoot an overclock here -- I'm trying to fix my system. I want to get my system working at stock settings for everything again, and right now it is not functioning stock.***

3570k - NOW STOCK but was at 4.4GHz, +0.15 offset
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
16GB Samsung low profile DDR3-1600 (4x4)
128GB Crucial M4 boot drive
Corsair AX-750 PSU
Gigabyte HD6950 1GB

• I started by taking everything back to stock
  • I pulled all of my RAM and tried 1 stick at a time
  • I ran Memtest86+ for over 2 hours with no errors
  • I flashed newest BIOS update and cleared CMOS
  • I did a full format and reinstall of Win7, using the bare minimum of drivers required -- twice!
  • I did a clean boot
  • I get the crash even in safe mode
  • I logged all temps and checked after crashes, they were all normal (<70C)
  • Prime95 runs fine until about the 30-40 minute mark, as stated, and I get the same hard freeze
  • I pulled my GPU and ran the onboard video -- same issue
  • I fully cleaned the system and reseated all components
  • I changed the SATA cable on the boot drive

All of that, and still the same exact issue. The freeze is sometimes just a black screen, sometimes I get a BSOD, and sometimes I get skipping sound and the screen turns to gibberish. Event View has not been helpful, since the hard freeze prevents the system from logging anything.

I have serious doubts that the issue is my PSU since the Corsair AX series is so high quality and my system doesn't even come close to stressing it. Also, because the system runs for so long with no issue.

So, I'm left with the CPU and/or Mobo. I was running a 4.4GHz overclock, though at very reasonable temps, but I realize this could have caused problems. I've personally never seen an Intel CPU go bad so quickly from OCing before and my Asrock Mobo is the lowest quality component in my system (first time I ever went cheap on the mobo). I am thinking it is the mobo, but I'm not 100% sure whether Microcenter will allow me to exchange it (it is within warranty). I hope they do, but if not then I'm going to have to buy new components myself to test this out.

I was wondering, do any of you have any thoughts on this? Can this type of instability (hard freeze after 30-40 minutes, whether under load or idling) be the result of the mobo failing? Upon visual inspection, the mobo looks just fine, but I know these cheaper boards can sometimes do wacky things.

I would very much appreciate any help/direction that the community could offer. I'm not very eager to buy expensive components, replace them, and find out that the problem still exists.

EDIT: Clarified in the post that this is not about stabilizing an overclock, this is about a malfunctioning stock system.

Last edited:
4.4ghz with a .015 offset is awfully low for that clockspeed. I would try raising that value and see if the freezing stops.

have you tried more voltage ?

4.4ghz with a .015 offset is awfully low for that clockspeed. I would try raising that value and see if the freezing stops.

Hey guys, I really appreciate you trying to help but without trying to sound rude, would you mind just reading everything that I wrote first? The first thing that I said I did was returned the system back to stock everything, and I even reiterated that after the first person responded saying the same thing.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm having an overall stability issue here. Everything in the system is back at basic stock speeds, and I've verified that the board has everything configured right (including RAM timings/voltage). Also, the system was running stable on that OC for several months. But the OC is irrelevant at this point, as I'm stock.

EDIT: I meant +0.15, not +.015 -- I'll fix that. I don't want to get caught up on the OC though, I'm NOT trying to troubleshoot an overclock here. I'm trying to fix my system.

Regardless if you think your PSU is not the problem, did you run a voltage check while its under load with a DMM so you're sure?

Even at stock, try raising that value or use LLC and see if it is a voltage issue.

I'll give it a try. Let's say this works: what do you think it indicates? That the mobo has a problem delivering the right power, or something else?

PS - I ordered a multimeter so I can test the PSU manually tomorrow, but I'll try this suggestion tonight.

I think it just needs a voltage bump. You shouldnt need that out of the box, but sometimes it happens. Too much vdrop/droop in the board. LLC would take care of the load but a voltage adjustment takes care of the drop.

I suggest you use the regular voltage and not the offset as the offset only kicks in on use of turbo.

I have not, as I don't own a multimeter, but I suppose I could pick one up and do this.

Sooner or later, a DMM should become part of your default toolkit. You needn't spend a lot for one. The time saved and reassurance they provide becomes apparent immediately.

I think it just needs a voltage bump. You shouldnt need that out of the box, but sometimes it happens. Too much vdrop/droop in the board. LLC would take care of the load but a voltage adjustment takes care of the drop.

I suggest you use the regular voltage and not the offset as the offset only kicks in on use of turbo.

Even if this works, it's very concerning to me though. I've had this built since day 1 that IB was released, and it ran perfectly fine at stock with no manual setting of voltage required.

If it all of a sudden requires a voltage bump to run stock, doesn't that indicate that some sort of degradation has occured either on the part of the motherboard or the CPU?

Even if this works, it's very concerning to me though. I've had this built since day 1 that IB was released, and it ran perfectly fine at stock with no manual setting of voltage required.

If it all of a sudden requires a voltage bump to run stock, doesn't that indicate that some sort of degradation has occured either on the part of the motherboard or the CPU?
Perhaps, yes.

Earthdog is one of our best overclockers. I'd seek him out (and have) in a heartbeat.

Any recommendations?

None particularly. I bought a Radio Shack mid-range priced years ago and it's fine.

I just bought this one http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Au...TF8&qid=1347290434&sr=8-2&keywords=multimeter

Incidentally, I've made it through nearly 20 years of computer building without one, but I've always meant to get one. I've never had a bad PSU before, and while I seriously doubt that's my issue here, it will be nice to at least be able to say for sure.

Stranger things have happened, when issues put you at your wits end ................... :thup:

Stranger things have happened, when issues put you at your wits end ................... :thup:

Oh, and trust me I am most definitely at my wit's end with this! I'm highly suspect of the mobo, which I'll kick myself for if that's the case because this is the first build I've ever done with a cheapo board before.

Well, you guys gave me a few more good things to try, as did Intel when I contacted them, so I will go forth and report back what I find. If I do have to replace this board, I'll spend a little extra and get a solid Asus offering.

Oh crap, I just realized something. I had tested my full 16GB (4x4) set of RAM together in Memtest86, but Memtest86 is only 32 bit... So I'm not out of the water on my RAM yet. I'm going to have to test individual sticks tonight and see if they pass. I'm actually hoping it's just RAM -- man, that would make this so easy. The symptoms I'm getting (looped audio, scrambled picture, random freezing) sound RAM-related.

Perhaps add some Vtt as well.

I'll consider that as a temporary solution if it helps, but I'm really just looking to get everything working back at stock and if I can't do that then I plan on replacing components. I just am trying to avoid buying parts I don't need.

Back