• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive/Chassi cooling ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RC3

Registered
Hi I got two IBM 45GB Deskstars and one Quantum Fireball 10GB and a Fujitsu 40GB and my chassi is to smal so i have all disk ontop each other. And it gets hot really hot about 55.4°C (nonidle) that i have tested, didnt what to test it any higer. (44.5°C idle). Operating max degrees where 50°C on the IBM disks. Any suggestions how I can lover the temprature ? I thought I could just try a fan but will it be enough ? I'm waiting for a new computer that got two 10033rpm seagate scsi disks and they wont make it any better. And then I will have about 6-8 disk i my chassi warming up things a bit. But if fans is the answer how should I put them and in or out blowing ? By the way I will have a new chassi when my new computer arrives. (Aopen HQ08 http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/hq08.htm ) Anyone who got any good result with it ? (Room temp 23.8°C) (Orded computer http://w1.112.telia.com/~u11204624\comp.txt )

Da Whip

Sunny Florida, you can keep the midwest!!
RC3 , that looks like a nice case w/ room for some fans. I have afull tower w/ a I-Storm II HDD cooler blowing in across the HDD and a 120mm Panaflo 69cfm blowhole on top pulling hot air out. ( I have 2 more 120mm fans but those are for CPU and Video cooling.)
You could put a couple of HDD cooling fans in front blowing in, since you are probably mount 2 HDD per bay and a blowhole sucking out. Here are a couple of examples of HDD fans.
Hope this helps.

OP
RC3

RC3

Registered
Da Whip, some "cool" links there thanx. But I-Storm II HDD cooler and the other where for 5.25" drive bay Ì think ? All my 5.25" drive bays will be full... one plexwriter one plextor reader... Pioneer dvd..sb platinum front panel and the best of all Digital DOC 5 Thermal Control panel =) and its full... but I dont mind rebuild my chassi for some extra drive bays the only thing is that it can be hard to rebuild it and make it still looks nice.

OP
RC3

RC3

Registered
Why I need all that hard drive room ? Nice having a lot of space so I dont need to care if things fits on the disk. Wouldnt you like a lot of hd space ?