• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hardrive speed question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Azeroth

Hello, I got a question about my harddrives which I have been wondering about for a while now. Right now I have 2 hard drives in my computer, one is a 45 GB 5400rpm 66 ATA maxtor and the other is a 40GB 7200rpm 100ATA WD. Currently my primary drive is the slower of the two, it is also the one that has my operating system, but thats preety much it. Everything else, such as games and other software I have stored on my second, faster drive, which is also partitioned into two parts. I was wondering, would switching the drives around, making the 7200rpm drive my primary make things significantly faster, and is there an easy way to just swap data between the drives without having to format them and reinstall everything, I dont want to lose all of my programs because I dont have backups of some files.

Movax

Your OS would run faster if it was on the faster drive, but if all your games are on there, it's not a big deal. What you could do is move you swap file to the faster drive. May or may not be noticable though.

(WinKey + Break -> Advanced Tab -> Settings button (performance) -> Advanced tab -> Change)