• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware for O/C or Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerial_Killer

Registered
I'm thinking about upgrading my motherboard and cpu. My lack of knowledge falls when I think about wether there is a difference between gaming hardware or O/C hardware. Reason I ask this question is because on all the top gaming pc manufacturs, they dont use the same hardware as do the excellent O/C ers in these forums. Like Falcon, Alien, and Voodoo, they all still use kt666 or some other chipset for gaming machines. Is there a difference? I want it to be mainly for gaming but I also want to be able to have good overclocking capabilities. I was thinking about the Epox 8K3a+ and a AMD XP 1900+ or higher. What do you guys think.

AMD T-Bird 700Mhz
ATI Radeon 8500
Giga-byte Ga-7zx
384 pc133 SDRAM
15 gig Maxtor

h20link

is there a fry's near you? i know they just had a soyo dragon mobo, an xp 1800, and 128mb of mushkin DDR for $249....that would definitely be the start of a smokin' gaming rig.

most the gaming companies build machines with cutting edge components.......some even O/C components at the factory (mostly video cards i think) because they know that most of the people who buy the machine are hardcore gamers that are expecting top of the line "baseline" performance.

basically they know what their customers expect, and they deliver, not like compaq or something where machines are built for the lowest common denominator.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Good overclocking hardware IS good gaming hardware. Good gaming hardware is not necessarily good overclocking hardware, which makes it bad gaming hardware IMHO.