• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Hardware mod only] PowerHacintosh i5 - Work in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
http://www.overclockers.com/how-i-pcd-an-apple-g5/ <<< this article has oddly shot to the top of our most popular list in the past few days, also 100% relevant to this build. Thought i'd point that out.

Haha, that is brutal to read... man I can't imagine what people thought when they read that. Even today, had my G5 been working I would have kept it a G5.

Pretty neat how that happens with the web traffic too. Hopefully if I write this up it'll shoot up to the top for a while :)

I obviously don't need to point out the flaws of that modder, nor is the job that bad. For 2004 it's actually pretty sweet to even have the G5 case with a PC inside. My main thing I see when I look at that is the case looks empty and too big. Kinda like he could have set his mini tower inside just for looks and that'd be no fun. I'm hoping mine will look like the real deal when it's done... just need some solution for the rear IO.

sku

so how did you get the mobo on there exactly? i'm at this step and and a bump trying to figure it's mounting out

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Used some big pliers to ease the pressed in standoffs out. Then Screwed them to the board. I then stuck in a video card and a PCI card after dabbing some JB weld on the bottoms of the standoffs... so they dried into their new locations and it worked out great. Project on hold till I find a used Core i chip.

Acuradude

hey what can be done with a g3 becuz i have one rotting in my closet its one of the orange ones!?!?!?!!

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Since you said orange... I'm thinking it's an old iMac? Someone has built a hackintosh in one of those also. Was going to link it but looks like the original page with pics is gone.

Here's a mod I did a while back on a PowerMac G3 http://mods.333networks.com/casemods/macmod/

Dooms101

This looks awesome! That giant case would look cool with a SR2 in it... I wanted to do this a while ago but I could never find a cheap enough case.

CapnBFG

Nice mod Ben333! I take particular interest in this because I performed a similar mod myself several years ago. I've always been a fan of the clean appearance of the G5/MacPro cases, so I modded one into a PC. At the time I was using it for [email protected], and for the last three years that's what it was used for. Unfortunately with schoolwork and then real-world work I never had time to finish the mod. Now that I find myself in need of a home NAS box I am revisiting the project. I came across your thread in my search for information.

I wanted to post on this not just to congratulate you on a mod which I feel has great potential, but also to share knowledge. I think we could both benefit from sharing mod ideas. I don't want to jack your thread, so I'll start my own some time in the next couple weeks when I have time...unless you want me to post my pics/links here, in which case I gladly will.

I see that you opted to retain much of Apple's construction for your mod. I didn't have this luxury because the case I bought was completely stripped. Instead I bought a number of LianLi case components and did some chopping to make it all fit together. I did this for the motherboard tray and hard drive rack. For the power supply and fan mounts I built custom brackets from Lexan and aluminum.

The front panel issue I never finished. My case only included the power switch, so my solution was to buy a set of LianLi front panel jacks. However, port the ordering is different than Apple, so some cutting and soldering will be required to make it fit. I can't tell from the pictures if yours came with all the front ports or not. If so, all you need to complete that portion is to search online for the connector pinouts for each port (readily available via google image and wikipedia as they are all industry standard ports), and use a multimeter to determine which port pins connect to which wires. If you have an old case laying around you could cannibalize the cables to solder onto your Apple ones to create the necessary motherboard connectors.

That's all I have to say for now. I'll keep an eye on this thread though. Congrats and good luck.

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Yeah, feel free to post links. Things get confusing when another person than the OP posts pics in a worklog but links would be fine. This project would be kicking off if I could find a cheap i5 750 and some RAM... If anyone knows of a sale here or another site to look let me know.

CapnBFG

Yeah, feel free to post links. Things get confusing when another person than the OP posts pics in a worklog but links would be fine.
Good point. Here are the links. Any suggestions you have are definitely welcome.
http://forum.xcpus.com/f45/mac-g5-tower-folding-pc-2901.html
http://forum.xcpus.com/f45/case-gallery-10124-2.html#post148485

As I mentioned, I'm going to be transforming this into a NAS box. Some time soon I'm going to fit this case with enough bays to hold 9 hard drives and an optical. And of course I need to wire up the front ports. Other than those things I think most of the case will stay how it is now.

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Looks pretty sharp man. Not a bad case for a NAS box really... A pretty darn attractive for something that doesn't need a monitor!

THE PROJECT WILL GO ON :D

Purchased a Xeon X3440 from ghostrecon and going to get some RAM off newegg.

Gatorman77

Slick build! Looking mighty nice. I'm doing something similar. How did you get the fans to work? How did you wire them up? Any suggestions?

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Try google. I found diagrams someone made but still had to do a little experimenting to get the fans working. They have one 5V, one 12V, ground and RPMs. I ended up running most of the 12V lines on 3V for quietness.

Dooms101

Back when I had a Mac case I could have modded I didn't have any wiring stuff laying around and I couldn't figure out how to get them dam fans going! I wish I had that case now, it seems really easy to do now.

@Ben333 not sure if I missed em, but what hardware are you putting in this? Edit: oh nevermind :rolleyes: sweet build!

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Update :D

Processor is in, RAM is in... Don't have an 1156 heatsink but that's nothing a couple zip ties won't fix for the sake of testing. Tried a Leopard install but it won't boot. No worries though, people have installed Snow Leopard on the board I have. So here's some pics... And a shot of the HW monitor so people don't think I'm nuts for using zip ties to hold a heatsink onto my new processor I just spend $180 on.

7cf0f1410e282a196b8382ba693fe5d8.jpg

bfb92f7025315169e9db6329ae515350.jpg

cfc01c4b90844fb6e598c1a292c351ff.jpg

a196bdf0c137af08e670c195a5017d07.jpg

f84339aacd0cd31fd1e0b9ad22a3c07f.jpg

So, a little soldering to go, a better cooling solution, something for the front IO... some research and a 16 GB flash drive and I should be good to go!

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
The basic Hackintosh process (without going into details) involves taking a retail disc, or Mac image file of the OS disc, burning it to a writable source like a USB HDD or flash drive, then installing some kind of EFI emulator to be able to boot it on a regular board. In my case, this also involves a patched kernel because this is a P55 setup. Tried setting one up tonight, but no luck. I beleive it's because my Snow Leopard copy was too new (past 10.6.1) -- I think anyway. Going to find an old image and try again. I'll probably be up and running tomorrow! I hope anyway.

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Finally, I've gotten it to boot into Snow Leopard. Right off the bat sound and video worked, last time I did this I had a hell of a time getting my 8800GT to work in Leopard, but this time it just worked. I don't know if the patches I applied to the install drive, or the main drive post install had anything to do with it or if Snow Leopard just has better support for graphics cards. Installed a ktext for ethernet, repaired permissions and rebooted and BAM! Full sound, video and network support. Opened up safari and played a video to verify things were good and they were indeed. I've build myself quite a mac for the money I spent. Things I need to do on the software side, a procedure if you will:

Test boot
Image the hard drive at this point, so I dont have to worry about trying new things
Install the update to 10.6.2, replacing my modifyed kernel. Some new macs are p55 based, so it should just work.
Follow steps to fix sleep
Run the software update and get the machine totally up to date

And on the hardware side, I was at the hardware store today to get four feet of 3/8 ID tubing and some bolts, nuts, wingnuts, and washers. Going to probably stick the machine into the G5 case soon if I feel like soldering up the drive power connector wires to a new plug. Still need to run new, longer, sata cables to the bays though and find a good way to mount the original radiator and pump. Possibly also a reservoir.