• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Hardware mod only] PowerHacintosh i5 - Work in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Looks great Ben, the pic's are worth the wait....I find it ironic that you were charging an Iphone while taking the pic's...I guess Apple can be satisfied that they got some of your money...hehe just not the serious cash that a G5 would have cost.
Nice build, looks good..

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Heh, that's an ipod touch actually. I've owned several used touches, several nanos, a classic, an older iMac, a G3 tower, two eMacs, two PowerBooks, a Mac Mini, a 2010 Macbook Pro and now an iPad. None of that purchased retail though. Just in the way I speak of apple products (hardware and the OS) I ought to have earned the right to be able to put their OS on my system. ;) In doing so I get the benefit of using the software (IMO) and the sleekness and design aspects of a piece of their hardware (the chassis, layout and air flow). I just brought my own, faster and less expensive hardware to the table and in return need to support my self should I run into issues. There's a large hackintosh community, but man, it's much simpler on the real thing. Having owned an intel mac mini and macbook pro I met that niceness. Still using that system though from time to time, problem free. More of an iPad man now though... for 90% of what I do on a computer these days.

As to what you said above, apple designed an inferrior product in some ways, the machine did die, and several like it developed cooling system products and also died. I simply replaced the motherboard with an aftermarket one, why shouldn't I have that choice? Then of course the cpu, memory and graphics (the latter two people upgrade with non apple HW anyway) had to be replaced. And then, why not a bigger hard drive? The power supply... just electrical, might as well use my own. In a sense I just repaired the system, the way I did it probably cost less than keeping it a G5 lol. Definitely more powerful.

The spoiler is to not overwhelm people running smaller displays with the giant images.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Hey Ben, noticed your image hosting is down. If you still have the images, you can upload them to the forums - our image limits are larger than they used to be.

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Will probably do that. I'll get the batch resized down to 800x600 or 1024x768 and find out which pictures went where... Will get around to it some time. May still do a write up.

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
It kinda stinks I sold this box, was an awesome build & learning experience. Traded it for a sweet macbook, but it's now dead!

I'll have to dig up those pics and do a write up either for the front page here, or at least one at all on the net. I feel I did a pretty darn good job of the conversion, for someone who put in little money and for one who isn't a professional fabricator / machinist. Not that my metal work is remotely good... I just didn't majorly screw up / half a$$ it alot heh. And I feel I preserved the key things that make the G5 design sweet.

Would I do another build like this? Probably not... I hardly go on the computer much these days other than to check email and craigslist... but if the hardware was priced right, I definitely would. On my piece of crap inspiron I miss the quality, performance and mac experience of that build.

OP
Ben333

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Finally got up a summary of the build and some decent pics.

http://mods.333networks.com/powerhac

Origional pics are on a HDD somewhere, the one from that machine actually, heh. I'll recover them and do a full write up when I get another desktop up and running.